Amputation

There are many reasons for amputation, infections that have turned gangreen would be one example, someone trapped inside of a burning car would be another.

Depends on who is doing the amputation. If you are in a hospital you should do just fine if you need something amputated.

I lost the end of my thumb in an accident ca 20 years ago, and had it taken off. The doctor told me that they would have kept it and tried to put it back on if I'd had the accident anywhere else but a milking shed, but they said that keeping the thumb would have given me too much risk of infection, so it was better to have it removed.

thats crap, amputations are rarly used except when they MUST be because of the psycological harm it causes (not to mention limits to mobility and quality of life). For instance a person trapped in a car with an disecting aortatic anurisum, it maybe nessary to cut off a leg because the risk of the pt bleeding out from the anurisum is so high

. . . .you have more of a chance to die from amputation then anything.
This is a place of science. Please provide a reference for that extraordinary assertion.

Of course there's always a small but statistically measurable risk in any surgery. But amputation is a last resort and is only performed when the patient would be at greater risk without it. For example, a limb mangled so badly that it can't be reconstructed and is bleeding profusely from all the internal trauma.

Amputation or death from infection?

or rather...

Amputation or death? :rolleyes: choose :rolleyes:

Well, if I had a choice between 1) amputation 2) tetanus or 3) gangrene, I'd definitely choose 1)--a lot less complicated than the other options...:)

Amputation over tetanus? :eek: :confused: Depending on how far the condition progresses before you receive treatment, tetanus can be very effectively treated. Post-exposure pre-symptom medical treatments will prevent symptoms from developing. If I step on some dirty jagged metal, I won’t resort to lopping off my limbs before I receive some simple treatment for the wound!

HR is correct, the vacination for tentnis is effective AFTER the injury if nessary. Just keep your vacinations up to date.

Back