Amniotic Fluid

one_raven

God is a Chinese Whisper
Valued Senior Member
What are the properties of Amniotic fluid?
Texture? Viscosity? Smell? Taste? Etc?

Does it decay and "rot" like any other organic substance?
How long does it take to break down?
Does it go through stages?

What are the "ingredients"?
Can we artificially create it?
Is there any reason to?
Has anyone?

Is it common to all animals?
How does it differ from one animal to the next?

What are some of the surprising properties of it?
Anything else you can share?

Thanks

Is amniotic fluid what I think it is?
Why do you want to know the taste of amniotic fluid? :D
(its like stuff babies float in right? "my water broke" meaning I just amniotic fluided all over the place?)
I'll be rightfully embarrassed if I'm off the mark here, don't worry about that;)

I want to know everything I can find out about it for research I am doing for my book.

Oh, ok, cool.
I really don't know anything about it. Just wasting your time basically :eek:

The Chinese find the drinking of rat amniotic fluid of great holistic value, perhaps you should try to purchase some and taste it.

As far as I know, it's just an isotonic medium which cushions the fetus in a womb - no nutritional or mineral effect, simply mechanical support and a buffer against the mother's body movements. Like all bodily fluids, it's salty. It doubtlessly has all sort of inert proteins in solution, including dead cells simply shed by the uterine wall and the fetus itself. And urea. Probably traces of blood and lymph also. :p

I know it's colourless and fairly watery in consistency. but what it smells or tastes like I can only guess. These properties probably vary between different mammal species - especially if rat amniotic fluid is drunk preferentially by those holistically-inclined Chinese. :m:

Back