AlphaGo

Saint

Valued Senior Member
Google's DeepMind AlphaGo artificial intelligence has defeated the world's number one Go player Ke Jie.

Machine wins, so what?
Can machine "enjoy" playing chess like human?

Machine wins, so what?

I agree so what

I don't think that shows computers are closer to becoming intelligent

If indeed was the point of the exercise

I think it is some time off when intelligence and indeed enjoyment can be built into machines

Part of the reasons is the non physical existence of concepts such as intelligence and enjoyment

The game appears to be a contest between the big beach bully kicking sand in the face of the weakling

I do think it could be possible for a computer to be built which can mimic intelligence and enjoyment over winning a game

However intelligence and enjoyment span the gamut of human experiences far in excess of a game

Thinking about robots in SiFi I really cannot think of one which shows intelligence

Most seem to operate as a mobile computer with a vast amount of information

:)

OP by Saint
Google's DeepMind AlphaGo artificial intelligence has defeated the world's number one Go player Ke Jie.

The story here <<<

My favorite part:
Mr. Ke, who smiled and shook his head as AlphaGo finished out the game, said afterward that his was a “bitter smile.”

Machine wins, so what?
The goal is not to benefit the computer; the goal is to develop and refine artificial intelligence.

my calculator can calculate faster than me, is it intelligent?
No. You calculator is simply doing math on numbers you supply it.
Making decisions based on a the vast array of extremely complex factors involved it the strategy of a human game is many, many orders of magnitude more difficult.

Figuring out how to
- get a computer to examine and prioritize these factors, and
- acquire a result so complex that it beats a human at a human game of strategy
is the goal of this research.

Figuring out how to
- get a computer to examine and prioritize these factors, and
- acquire a result so complex that it beats a human at a human game of strategy
is the goal of this research.

When it goes on a picnic

Picks a daisy and plays

she loves me she loves me not

Tries it on

Cries when turned down

Is governed by the little brain

Confused about which toilet to use

Just MIGHT be getting close to AI

That's the male version

Don't get me started on the blonde female version :)

:)

Hooray for AlphaGo!

As far as I know the rovers on other planets wouldn't be able to get instructions from Earth without a clear line of sight. Now, future robots could do their own thing without communication.

Hooray for AlphaGo!

As far as I know the rovers on other planets wouldn't be able to get instructions from Earth without a clear line of sight. Now, future robots could do their own thing without communication.

I hope people are not annoyed by me being technical but line of sight does not seem right for that. Sight is not involved.

<>

I read that in the next 30 years, AI will take away many jobs done by humans,
many people of low education will suffer.

How true can this prophecy be?

I read that in the next 30 years, AI will take away many jobs done by humans,
many people of low education will suffer.

How true can this prophecy be?
They've been saying that since the dawn of the Industrial Age.

The upshot will be that employment opportunities will open up in more advanced fields as the grunt work is no longer done by humans.
'Web Designer' and 'AI content provider' will become the 'factory assembler' and 'toilet cleaner' of the 21st century.

Back