(alpha) Are Artificial Satellites Orbits Influenced By An Expanding Earth?

OilIsMastery

Banned
Banned
Topic: Are Artificial Satellites Orbits Influenced By An Expanding Earth?

Published In: Annals of Geophysics, Volume 49, Scalera 2006: http://www.earth-prints.org/bitstream/2122/1066/6/20 Scalera.pdf

Albeit in the past great theoretical and experimental efforts were made in proposing and searching for G time-decreasing, a major role could be played by an increase of M. A recent analysis (Scalera, 2003a) converges toward an upper limit of the Earth’s mass variation in the order of magnitude of M/M=10-9 /yr. It is here discussed the possible role that can be played by parameters linked to the expanding Earth in the effects we observe in the orbital motion of the artificial satellites. The important result in this short note is the discrimination between the reality of the glacial rebound process and/or the relaxation of the 100m excess of equatorial bulge testified by the high rate of j2 , and the improbable role that glacial rebound can have in driving PM and TPW. It is recommended that the new technology of drag-free satellites be used (Gravity-Probe B is the first step) to reveal possible residual orbital parameter variations ascribable to formerly unrecognized fictitious drag terms due to Earth radial increase.

OIM:

Unless you put some sort of thesis here for discussion, this thread is bound for the cesspool.

lets say that earth expands certain number of centimeters in diameter per million of years....and satellite exists for 10-30 years at most...does the expansion of Earth influences satellite orbit when satellite only experiences that change for 30 years? No, of course not...

just as a feather dropped on the surface of the ocean...just as the sand particle dropped in a desert...just as a star that shines bright amongst limitless heavens

lets say that earth expands certain number of centimeters in diameter per million of years....and satellite exists for 10-30 years at most...does the expansion of Earth influences satellite orbit when satellite only experiences that change for 30 years? No, of course not...

just as a feather dropped on the surface of the ocean...just as the sand particle dropped in a desert...just as a star that shines bright amongst limitless heavens
Clearly you didn't read the Scalera paper in the OP.

There is no model in that paper, only tedious assertion of uninteresting numbers.

article said:
Only several centimetres of annual radius
increase can have a non-negligible effect on
the total of the summation (3.1a).

So, in other words, the effect he spent three pages calculating has absolutely no effect on the thing he thought it would.

Too much of a numbers guy. I like my measurements with methodological error bounds and supported with a detailed comparison to a model.

This paper has low production values.

I don't think OIM read the paper.

I think he just posted an abstract with an alpha tag to see what I'd do.

And, as OIM doesn't seem interested in talking about physics, I can think of better places for this thread.

Topic: Are Artificial Satellites Orbits Influenced By An Expanding Earth?
If the question was "Would satellite orbits be influenced by an expanding Earth" the thread might be an interesting one because you could calculate the relationship between the orbits and the diameter change in a hypothetical situation. However, since the Earth is not expanding anywhere close to the rate OIM wants or thinks it is, the question as posed is nonsense.

Given Ben and I can run rings around you when it comes to maths (along with physics, chemistry, biology, geology and sanity) that's pretty funny.

Have a look at some of these papers. Those are the kind of papers Ben and I read each day. Heck, we've even written some ourselves (not together). When was the last time you did any maths other than failing to work out how much matter would have to fall to Earth from space each day for your claim about an expanding Earth to be true. :rolleyes:

But if you want to show off your maths skills, how about giving me a hand here. Of course if you can find a way to construct a complete list of 12 dimensional Lie algebras that'd be even better.

Given Ben and I can run rings around you when it comes to maths (along with physics, chemistry, biology, geology and sanity) that's pretty funny.

Have a look at some of these papers. Those are the kind of papers Ben and I read each day. Heck, we've even written some ourselves (not together). When was the last time you did any maths other than failing to work out how much matter would have to fall to Earth from space each day for your claim about an expanding Earth to be true. :rolleyes:

But if you want to show off your maths skills, how about giving me a hand here. Of course if you can find a way to construct a complete list of 12 dimensional Lie algebras that'd be even better.

You're kidding right? I think the terms prokaryote and eukaryote are about as much Ben knows about biology.

You're kidding right? I think the terms prokaryote and eukaryote are about as much Ben knows about biology.

So biology is about memorizing words?

Fair enough Reiku. I'm sure you have more words memorized than I do.

Ben, biology is riddled with elongated words you need to meemorize. However, i do have an excellent memory capacity.

Back