All About Thermoacidophyles

Twinkle Toes

Pickle Hat-Wearing Rocker
Registered Senior Member
Instead of discussing them, I'd like to get as much info. from you guys as I can about them. I've been searching all my regular sites for a few days now and haven't found anything that I couldn't have found in my Bio. book.

Anything from you would be nice but in particular, I'm looking to know about the classes and the differences and similarities between Thermoacidophilic classes and Class Mammalia.

Actually, even some pictures would be great. Much thanks to you lot! :D

P.S.: Sorry I've not been roaming lately... lots to do, what with finals and big projects.

Lets see off the top of my head: most are classified under the Kingdom Archaea and are some of the oldest life forms on earth, DNA polymerase from a Thermophial is used in modern PCR because it works at very high temperatures. Except for the plain obvious that’s about it sorry :(

Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
I'm looking to know about the classes and the differences and similarities between Thermoacidophilic classes and Class Mammalia.

I was actually a bit puzzled, because could you have mentioned any group of species with a bigger gap between them? And both of them could probably be considered to be highly specialized.
But maybe that is the point.

Re: Re: All About Thermoacidophyles

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
I was actually a bit puzzled, because could you have mentioned any group of species with a bigger gap between them? And both of them could probably be considered to be highly specialized.
But maybe that is the point.
Eh, yeah, probably was the point. It wasn't my idea though... it was my Biology teacher who said we had to compare our Taxa to Class Mammalia (we chose two; my second was Basidiomycota, which happens to have many things in common with Mammalia). I would've changed it to something else, but I've already gotten a considerable about of the project done using Thermoacidophyles... plus, I happen to like it 8^/. Oh well *sigh*.. thanks anywho :( .

doh.gif
dam I forgot to read everything in the your post! You want to compare Thermoacidophilic (Archea) with Mammals??? Just about what isn't there that’s different! Archaea is a single cell prokaryote (no internal membranes, under a 2 microns wide) Mammals are multi-cell Eukaryotes (have internal membranes, much bigger then 2 microns wide!). Both groups are separated by Billions of years of evolution, with Archaea being the olds life on earth and mammals being no older then 250 million (Early Triassic) Most Archaea are anaerobes many in fact are not resistant to oxygen and find it toxic, Mammals are aerobes and need oxygen to live! Everything down to the central dogma is different with some Archaea having different codon codecs then are own (as in a mRNA codon represent a different amino acid to them then it does to us) about the only thing we have in common with them is that they are our ancestors: the First cellular life on the planet. Long long ago it was first the Archaea (well to be more correct Archaea have evolve a little since then and the true ancestor no longer exist) Bacteria diverge from Archaea and then about a billion years latter Eukaryotes diverged form Archaea. This was all discovered by a noble prize winning comparison of all three groups ribosomal sequences (Most essential protein of all, need for translating mRNA into proteins)

sites and pics!
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archaea/archaea.html
http://www.microbe.org/microbes/archaea.asp
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/A/Archaea.html

let me just answer this question by using my vast store of geeky knowledge....oh, wait, WCF beat me to it ;)

...on another note

SIMILARITY between Thermoacidophyles and mammals:

- MARILYN MONROE, Some like it hot!

DIFFERENCE:

- wouldn't date acidophyles...

Back