Alcoholism fact or myth

Hip Hop Skeptic

Registered Member
Alcoholism, is a disease that makes people more likely to abuse alcohol after trying it. It also is hereditary.

But it makes me wonder why is there no nicotineism, or gamblimgism, marijuanaism, and stuff?

If your addicted to alcohol you have a disease but if your addicted to these other things your just plain addicted.

Shouldn't they be diseases too or alcoholism not be one?

It seems like a copout for alcoholics.

Alcoholism, is a disease that makes people more likely to abuse alcohol after trying it. It also is hereditary.

There is a good chance that it is neither of these.:)

I think alcoholics have found their crutch by having it labeled a disease. Its a drug addiction, no different that cigarettes. They crave it more others and don't stop til they are no longer able to lift it to their mouth.
It doesn't excuse them getting in their car, driving to the store, getting it, and paying for it. Those are all steps they can control and don't.

And I do think it has hereditary factors. I have been on too many reservations to think otherwise.

With alcoholism there is a need to escape psychologically from unpleasant emotions. However, because alcohol does not cure psychological ailments, this process is highly addictive. People can be addicted to sex, money, games or just about any substance or activity, even food. Alcoholism is a real disease, but not because of the biochemical properties of alcohol, but because of the psychological problems that compel people to drink themselves into comas in the first place. Plenty of people drink moderately and do not become addicted (though this is also very harmful, I do NOT mean to condone this!). So I think that the biochemical basis for alcoholism is not zero, but rather limited; it's about the psychological effects of alcohol, and how alcohol creates a kind of artificial relaxation in the mind and the brain.

On the other hand, substances like nicotine, heroin and cocaine are clearly biochemically addictive. People go through severe withdrawal when they quit these drugs and exhibit intense physical symptoms, whereas alcoholics only experience mentally-based symptoms when they decide not to drink. They don't shake and miss sleep and freak out; they just feel the depression that alcohol had covered up for so long.

Noah

...whereas alcoholics only experience mentally-based symptoms when they decide not to drink. They don't shake and miss sleep and freak out; they just feel the depression that alcohol had covered up for so long.

Noah

What are the DTs then?
:confused:

Alcoholism, is a disease that makes people more likely to abuse alcohol after trying it.
Poorly stated. Many if not most alcoholics were more-or-less responsible drinkers for a long time before they went over the edge. Some unrelated problem was the catalyst that caused them to crawl into the bottle, they didn't do it after "trying" it. If you're saying that people who are already alcoholics won't be able to stop drinking if they take a single drink, that is basically true. But it doesn't speak to the important question of how they got that way in the first place.
It also is hereditary.
Again, poorly stated. Alcoholic parents are more likely to have alcoholic children, but it is because of their upbringing, not their DNA.
But it makes me wonder why is there no nicotineism, or gamblimgism, marijuanaism, and stuff? If your addicted to alcohol you have a disease but if your addicted to these other things your just plain addicted.
It's just semantics and it's influenced by politics, so you can't expect it to be logical. Still, there are some key differences. (I'll ignore gambling because it's not a drug and needs to be covered separately.) Of all the popular recreational drugs, alcohol is the only one that results in a significant degradation of both skillful and responsible behavior after only a modest dose that can be ingested quickly.

Nicotine is arguably the most harmful of all these drugs to the addict in the long run, but its effect on behavior is mild. In fact I've seen it described as a mood-leveler, which tends to improve one's functioning in society. Even the withdrawal symptoms don't usually cause anything socially worse than irritability.

Cocaine and heroin were once legal. Older adults I knew when I was a kid remembered doctors and lawyers who were addicts but had no trouble doing their jobs. The criminal behavior associated with these drugs today is 100% due to their illegality and the high prices of a black market, and would nearly vanish if we adopted a sane drug policy.

Marijuana is intoxicating in a way that coke and heroin are not, but not in the same way as alcohol. In most people it induces a sense of peace bordering on lethargy, goodwill bordering on subservience, and caution bordering on paranoia when physically active. For example when stoners drive they're not in a hurry so they don't drive fast, and they're constantly worried about cops and accidents so they arguably overcompensate for their impairment. Pot has essentially no physical withdrawal symptoms and it's almost impossible to stay high for more than a few hours so they have to come back to earth--if it could be done the Rastafarians would have figured it out by now. :)

Alcohol is nothing like these drugs. It makes people feel strong, clever and invulnerable. It's highly intoxicating and makes many of them fall down or at least act and sound profoundly stupid. And it's possible to stay drunk round the clock, so they can completely avoid their worldly responsibilities. Alcohol is in a class by itself so it's become politically correct to call it and only it a disease.
On the other hand, substances like nicotine, heroin and cocaine are clearly biochemically addictive. People go through severe withdrawal when they quit these drugs and exhibit intense physical symptoms, whereas alcoholics only experience mentally-based symptoms when they decide not to drink. They don't shake and miss sleep and freak out; they just feel the depression that alcohol had covered up for so long.
This is simply false, they do exactly those things. I'm guessing that you've had the good fortune never to know a serious alcoholic. A bad case of alcohol withdrawal may require medical treatment but will surely involve a lot of pain and bodily dysfunction. That makes it in this regard worse than nicotine, far far worse than cocaine, not on the same planet as marijuana, and only "better" than heroin.

As an alky myself I disagree it's a disease. It is self abuse. Obesity is labeled a disease as well and it's simply self abuse too.
Both have devastating effects on the body but are self inflicted.

my husband tried to quit - it was 5 days that he was sober (the longest he has been sober in a year) and then he went and got a bottle of hard liquor today. i don't know how to react. should i just not react? should i just let him deal with it and not say anything?

-------------------
heart burn treatment

Last edited:

But it makes me wonder why is there no nicotineism, or gamblimgism, marijuanaism, and stuff?

If your addicted to alcohol you have a disease but if your addicted to these other things your just plain addicted.

Shouldn't they be diseases too or alcoholism not be one?

It seems like a copout for alcoholics.
I don't understand the point here. "Alcoholism" is an addiction to alcohol that has physical and psychological components...just like addiction to nicotine or other drugs. You can call nicotine addiction "nicotineism" if you want, and you can call alcoholism "alcohol addiction" if you want. It's just semantics. I don't think anyone has every proposed that there is something fundamentally different between alcoholism addiction and any other drug addiction.

Last edited:
Fact or myth? That is almost insulting.

My dad is an alcoholic and I can tell you it is very real. There are physical as well as mental dependencies. It may seem strange if you've never been around it but it isn't all that different than other drug addictions. You get the shakes, have to have a 'fix', cannot function in social settings, etc...

Erm...so I actually read your post this time haha.

Yes alcoholism is an addiction. I'm not sure why it has to be labeled a 'disease'. Is heroin addiction a disease? Does it matter how it is labeled?

I like how everyone involved in this discussion has managed to avoid citing any sort of evidence or studies.

I'm skeptical of the idea of addiction in general - not that there aren't people who let substance use interfere with their lives, but the idea of this being a physical disorder rather than a behavioral problem. That said, there is some evidence that the tendency to develop that sort of behavioral problem is linked to certain genetic traits:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=5C303E5F-E7F2-99DF-315ADC8A107AE976

New Jersey Man:

...whereas alcoholics only experience mentally-based symptoms when they decide not to drink. They don't shake and miss sleep and freak out; they just feel the depression that alcohol had covered up for so long.

Incorrect. Alcohol has multiple effects on the brain: so does the cessation of use.

"Delirium tremens can occur after a period of heavy alcohol drinking, especially when the person does not eat enough food. It may also be triggered by head injury, infection, or illness in people with a history of heavy use of alcohol.

It is most common in people who have a history of alcohol withdrawal, especially in those who drink the equivalent of 7 - 8 pints of beer (or 1 pint of "hard" alcohol) every day for several months. Delirium tremens also commonly affects those with a history of habitual alcohol use or alcoholism that has existed for more than 10 years.

The exact pharmacology of ethanol is not fully understood: however, it is theorized that delirium tremens is caused by the effect of alcohol on the benzodiazepine-GABAA-chloride receptor complex for the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. Constant consumption of alcoholic beverages (and the consequent chronic sedation) causes a counterregulatory response in the brain in attempt to re-achieve homeostasis.

This causes downregulation of these receptors, as well as an up-regulation in the production of excitatory neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, dopamine, epinephrine, and serotonin - all of which further the drinker's tolerance to alcohol and may intensify tonic-clonic seizures. When alcohol is no longer consumed, these down-regulated GABAA receptor complexes are so insensitive to GABA that the typical amount of GABA produced has little effect; compounded with the fact that GABA normally inhibits action potential formation, there are not as many receptors for GABA to bind to - meaning that sympathetic activation is unopposed. This is also known as an "adrenergic storm". Effects of this "adrenergic storm" can include (but are not limited to) tachycardia, hypertension, hyperthermia, hyperreflexia, diaphoresis, heart attack, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, anxiety, panic attacks, paranoia, and agitation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

I am a bit skeptical of their quantities, as I've experienced mild DT's after drinking a bottle and a half of port, and yet nothing after a fifth of vodka and a pint of Jaeger (gooood times) but the basic neurochemistry checks out.

Back