Alcohol for infected throat

mountainhare

Banned
Banned
When I have a bad throat, I've noticed that a bit of alcohol seems to help quite a bit (got this advice from a family member). Some of my friends (some whose throats were so sore, that they couldn't speak) also swear that alcohol seems to be a great way to dull the pain of a sore throat.

However, every web site I've come across says that alcohol does the exact opposite, and makes a sore throat worse!

Not only does that contradict personal experience, but common sense as well. Wouldn't alcohol not only act as an antiseptic, but also as an anaesthetic and relaxant?

No, most bacteria survive the low concentrations of alcohol. A number of them even metabolize it. In order to kill off bacteria you'd have to drink copious amounts of ~70-80 % (v/v) alcohol. Not very healthy.

Gargle with olive oil. As long as you get it deep enough it cures the most vicious sore throat in about 20 seconds. If it doesn't, see the quack.

I agree, when I had infection in my throat alcohol helped greatly. I drank 14% alcohol red wine, it saved me!

This is what helped my throat:
1) red wine
2) red pepper...spicy food
3) warm milk with dissolved honey

vodkabylulabellesl7.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, when I had infection in my throat alcohol helped greatly. I drank 14% alcohol red wine, it saved me!

This is what helped my throat:
1) red wine
2) red pepper...spicy food
3) warm milk with dissolved honey

I thought you didn't drink, draqon? Tut tut. :p

Cocaine numbs the throat. Maybe a little extreme though.

When I had tonsilitis I gargled salt water and sucked lots of throat numbing strepsils. Ignore the guidelines and suck the packet 'til you can't feel anything. Alcohol is good in the short term, but you need to keep topping your glass up. The next day your throat is usually worse. Vicious cycle for a few days until it goes away!

Back