AIDS V2.0...Time for titanium made condoms

I have a stupid quesiton that hopefully a biology type can answer.

I keep hearing that it isn't uncommon for drug resistant strains to develop in a person after years of drug use. If that person then infects another... isn't he going to be infected with the drug resistant strain?

I'm asking because it doesn't seem like this should be much of a surprise.

Yeah, if someone creates a resistant strain by chance/inappropriate use of antibiotics, then whoever they infect will also have troubles using the obsolete drugs.

This is why doctors should use AB's only when necessary and patients should use them as directed.

I had a mate who was proud of his prescription drug collection; he'd take an AB pill every now and then when he felt bad. Retard.

Actually, the chance of one individual actually creating something like that is small... it's just when thousands of people do it.

But it's been stated that drug resistance eventually happens in all HIV/AIDS patients... hence why the drugs stop working (not antibiotics). So why is this a surprise to doctors?

I don't think it's that the strain was resistant, but that it appears to have moved to a "full-blown" AIDS in a matter of months. I believe on average it takes longer. It's just a rare case that it progressed so quickly (presumably).

The news report that I saw indicated that this strain is resistant to three of the four commonly used anti-viral drugs.

The behavior that this individual was engaged in was akin to playing Russian Roulette by only removing one bullet from the revolver, rather than only leaving one in. If gay men persist in this sort of thing, they will see a return to the dark days of the 80's. The search for better treatments and a cure for HIV continues, but any gains can quickly be erased by behaving as though there is no risk.

The news report that I saw indicated that this strain is resistant to three of the four commonly used anti-viral drugs.

No, no, I know that. Sorry, I'm not making myself clear these days. I meant what surprised the scientists and doctors was that it progressed so quickly. The fact that it was indeed resistant should have been no surprise.

Blue UK,

Yeah, if someone creates a resistant strain by chance/inappropriate use of antibiotics, then whoever they infect will also have troubles using the obsolete drugs.

This is why doctors should use AB's only when necessary and patients should use them as directed.

Just one problem with this.
AIDS is a virus and is unaffected by antibiotics.
But, I'm sure there are other drugs and treatments to which it can become resistant.

Isn't this a good example of evolution in action?

Another thing to consider is that the more virulent the disease, the less it has a chance to spread quickly, as the carriers die off faster. That's why AIDS has been so devastating, it can incubate for years.

Idle Mind said:
No, no, I know that. Sorry, I'm not making myself clear these days. I meant what surprised the scientists and doctors was that it progressed so quickly. The fact that it was indeed resistant should have been no surprise.
But the quick progress shouldn't really have been a surprise either. It's quicker than normal, but not the quickest case observed.

invert_nexus said:
Blue UK,

Just one problem with this.
AIDS is a virus and is unaffected by antibiotics.
But, I'm sure there are other drugs and treatments to which it can become resistant.

Beg your pardon, same parallel for antivirals .

By the information given in the news report, one can infer that the patient has been a long time sero-negative individual. He may possibly have a heterogeneous mutation CCR5 delta -32 deletion, which delays the onset of AIDS for couple of years or may even have a homogeneous mutation, which has been shown to give complete protection from HIV-1, clade B, m-tropic infection. Clade B type is the most common form of HIV-1 virus in America.

So, it is very surprising that a long term sero-negative has contracted an especially virulent form of HIV-1. I wonder what that really means in terms of future evolution of this virus?

Back