Aging gracefully, Olga Kotelko

scheherazade

Northern Horse Whisperer
Valued Senior Member
Driving home from work this morning, I was listening to a fascinating discussion of Olga Kotelko and I can tell you, she is my new role model for aging gracefully and actively.

This woman took up track and field at the age off 77 and presently holds every world record for her age category. Did I mention that she is 92 years old? (Born Mar. 2nd, 1919)

The reason that I post this thread in biology is because science is studying her, trying to figure out why she seems to be resistant to the usual effects of advancing age.

Olga Kotelko (born 2 March 1919) is a Canadian track and field athlete.[1] She holds 17 world records in her age category for the Masters competition, age 90-95, and is considered "one of the world's greatest athletes" as a result.[2] She holds every track and field world record for her age group.

Her physiology and her muscle tissue have been studied by doctors at the Montreal Neurological Institute and at McGill University's Montreal Chest Institute. Her muscle fibers at age 91 (born Mar. 2nd, 1919) were found to be remarkably lacking in the mitochondrial decay expected in someone over 65.

Wikipedia

I intend to do a bit of research on this woman and would encourage any of you with similar stories to share to post them here for discussion.

Is it genetics?

Is it diet?

Is it an active lifestyle?

Perhaps all of the above, but Olga is certainly an anomaly that science would like to better understand. :)

Exercise training helps stop muscle strength and endurance from slipping away. But it seems to also do something else, maintains Mark Tarnopolsky, a professor of pediatrics and medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario (who also happens to be a top-ranked trail runner). Resistance exercise in particular seems to activate a muscle stem cell called a satellite cell. With the infusion of these squeaky-clean cells into the system, the mitochondria seem to rejuvenate. (The phenomenon has been called “gene shifting.”) If Tarnopolsky is right, exercise in older adults can roll back the odometer. After six months of twice weekly strength exercise training, he has shown, the biochemical, physiological and genetic signature of older muscle is “turned back” nearly 15 or 20 years.

http://ihearttosweat.blogspot.com/2010/11/91-year-old-track-and-field-star-olga.html

I imagine it all depnds on why one wishes to age, and gracefully at that.

That is an interesting and fair comment. For many people, life is a trial and they may be using all of their available resources merely to survive, and without the joy of thriving, who would wish to prolong a state of misery?

Yet many others have found happiness and joy, often in simple pleasures and sharing.

I found it interesting that Olga had been married and fled an abusive relationship with her first born and pregnant at the time. She refers to herself as possibly among the first single mothers. She never remarried and yet has found much love and support in her social network. She loves travel, meeting others and competing.

Life is very competitive and perhaps longevity of this kind requires a very disciplined and assertive nature, with oneself. From the comments of those who have met this woman, she is a delight to be in the presence of.

The scientific curiosity about why her muscle fibers do not seem to be failing as would be expected by her age are another question and I am in interested in following the biology of that question as well. :)

Yet many others have found happiness and joy, often in simple pleasures and sharing.

Sure.
But as some point, one does realize that on the one hand, considering pleasures fleeting, and on the other hand, pursuing them and producing them, only to have them flee again is ... a bit silly, to say the least. :p

Sure.
But as some point, one does realize that on the one hand, considering pleasures fleeting, and on the other hand, pursuing them and producing them, only to have them flee again is ... a bit silly, to say the least. :p

Then I suppose we might consider life itself to be but a fleeting pleasure, which for some is a huge disappointment while for others it is an inspirational experience that they are enthused to share.

It might be a fool's game but it's the only game in town, unless one decides to use their personal veto to opt out, which many do.

I'm a happily deluded Pollyanna who has generally found a balance between the pleasure and pain of my own life experiences and I find her story very interesting.

I do what I can to help people along in my journey through life but I observe that people are of several kinds. There are those who will benefit from a bit of help and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and then there are those that will milk an individual or community for anything they can get under the guise of playing the victim. I am one of the former and I have no empathy for the latter.

Life provides an opportunity for all, not always fair, conceded. What one makes of it is up to the individual and I am greatly inspired by those who overcome the challenges they encounter along the way.

As aging is a challenge that most of us shall encounter, Olga's story resonates with many. :)

It might be a fool's game but it's the only game in town

There was a certain Indian prince who thought oterwise - that there had to be more to life than that.

I wonder though - did you consciously give up looking for a happiness that would be beyond aging, illness and death, or did you never even think to look for such happiness to begin with?

There was a certain Indian prince who thought oterwise - that there had to be more to life than that.

I wonder though - did you consciously give up looking for a happiness that would be beyond aging, illness and death, or did you never even think to look for such happiness to begin with?

When I was a child I questioned many things, at least to myself. As an adult, I observe many people searching for meaning and happiness by diverse means.

I remain unconvinced that there is anything beyond death, at this time, but I keep an open mind on the subject and I continue to observe the journey of others with interest.

In the interim, living in the present and sharing the experience with others provides me with enough satisfaction to enjoy life, and accept that life is about change and challenge, as well as the satisfaction of achieving personal goals.

Each of us would seem to experience life differently and it is not for me to judge what is 'right' or 'wrong' for others, merely to travel my own path without interference or interfering in the journey of others.

Back