After careful examination...

Paris_Lennon

Registered Member
I have decided to leave sciforums. My stay here was short and I had no problems with anybody, but it seems to me that both sides (believers v. nonbelievers) have equally closed minds in their respective beliefs and every time a good point is made the opposition rips the other person to shreds.

Bye everyone! :m:

Paris_Lennon said:
I have decided to leave sciforums. My stay here was short and I had no problems with anybody, but it seems to me that both sides (believers v. nonbelievers) have equally closed minds in their respective beliefs and every time a good point is made the opposition rips the other person to shreds.

Paris must be awfully young.

Why?

Anybody who has a first grey hair knows that NOBODY is ever instantly convinced by any argument, or rather not by any important argument.

People are emotionally invested in their belief systems. They've gained rank and status in these polarizing organizations, or they have made friends among the other partisans. They HAVE TO believe whatever it is they are saying.

However, this is not to say that certain logic will never sink in. It does. Remember Christ's Parable of the Seed. A Good Argument does not arrive as a full grown Tree, but as a tiny seed. Doubts "grow" as they say.

It gives a person plenty of time to drop out of Organizations and to make new friends. After a couple of years you may have finally convinced somebody by your argument. BUT NEVER IN FIVE MINUTES.

But Paris does not know this, and so must be either too young to know, or so stupid that he would not have had much to contribute anyway.

Only the immature few attack the person when they cant think of an arguement, i dont think closed minds is the right phrase for most people though, most consider a lot of options before coming to their beliefs and it would take a new arguement to make them think, not an old one revamped since they've already studied a fair bit, you do see the same arguements go around and around though because people cant answer them.

Arguments fart'uments I would say. To come up with an argument is the easiest thing in the world. I could defend two opposite positions equally well.

spuriousmonkey said:
Arguments fart'uments I would say. To come up with an argument is the easiest thing in the world. I could defend two opposite positions equally well.

You mean "equally poorly".

The best arguments are believable and compelling. Obviously you have never run into one of those that you recognized for what it was. Apparently you think everything is just words. For you, there is no Truth with a capital T. Your Universe is devoid of Values, except for maybe whatever rules your debate club may insist upon.

I doubt a personal belief or interest makes an argument any better. Just makes the belief that your argument is better stronger.

Paris_Lennon said:

well, at least you did a going away speech. lets hope yer find the DEBATING forum you want

Back