Adam's Apple & the male voice

eddymrsci

Beware of the dark side
Registered Senior Member
Why do males have a bigger adam's apple? why are male voices thus deeper than females'?

Male voices are deeper mainly because male vocal cords are longer and thicker than female ones. I'm not sure where the Adam's apple fits into the picture.

yes I understand that the male voice is lower because the vocal cords are longer and thicker, but isn't that because of the presence of the adam's apple? please enlighten

eddymrsci said:
yes I understand that the male voice is lower because the vocal cords are longer and thicker, but isn't that because of the presence of the adam's apple? please enlighten

No, the adams apple does not cause the chords to be longer!

I was just finding that, probably, if we(our actions & deeds) might have not made it like this? :

John Connellan said:
No, the adams apple does not cause the chords to be longer!
so what does? :eek:

does the deep male voice have ANYTHING at all to do with the adam's apple?

They are correlated. The bigger the voicebox, generally the longer the chords will be. It is genetic and therein lies the cause. Why the chords are longer is another question and one I don't think I can answer yet!

I heard lower voices are also assosiated with more free testosterone duren puberty?

So your asking why are male voices usually lower pitch then women’s voices, what is the evolutionary reason for this trait?

Can you tell me examples of few other species in which there is a differance in male & female voices?

What about animals esp. nearer to us? Is it(voice) related to Male Dominance?

Last edited:
Back