Absolute Moral Laws in a godless Universe

BeHereNow

Registered Senior Member
Ayn Rand was probably not the first atheist to advocate for absolute morals or values (Objectivism), but I believe she was the first in modern times. I mention this to show the idea is not original to myself, although I did not borrow my explanation or justification from her. My beliefs are not exactly congruent with hers, but do have some commonality.
I am not presenting the philosophy of Objectivism, but have no objections if the thread twists that way.

It is my position that a person who reasons that there can be natural laws with no god, might equally reason that there can be natural moral laws, with no god.

By natural laws, I do not mean the man-made statement representing the properties, characteristics, action and reaction of material stuff, I mean the actual, naturally occurring, stuff that has regularity and predictability, that comes from an ordered cosmos, especially our little corner of it.

When Newton’s apple fell from the tree, it expressed a natural law, later known as gravity.
The natural law, existed before mankind’s understanding of it.

It is nice when reason has substantiation.
In the case of the existence of natural laws, science has taught itself how to test, measure, gauge, observe, experiment, and formulate accurate statements which represent the natural laws themselves.

The two most convincing aspects for a belief in absolute natural laws, is explanation, and predictability.

Good explanations have a high level of probability of leading to accurate predictions of future events, especially under controlled conditions.

This is very compelling substantiation to accepting the belief that there are absolute natural laws which govern the behavior of matter in a very predictable manner.

In the case of a belief in natural absolute moral laws, the substantiation is lacking.
There are no benchmarks, no accurate repeatability of results. No suitable experiments, or modeling.

There is however anecdotal evidence.
There are many things which are nearly universal in their being taboo for moral reasons.
Harm to innocent young children, as an example. Of course there have been cultures or times when certain harm to certain children has been considered acceptable. There is good reason to believe these actions could be immoral, and those who commit these acts, receive the consequences in their own life, or in their progeny.

The good reason being the same as the good reason for first accepting natural material laws; for an orderly existence of sentient beings, right along side an orderly existence of nonliving material.

I read once that mankind has made as much scientific advancements in the last 50 years, as it had in the whole history of mankind up to that point. Someone may have a more accurate or current quote on that.
The point is, we’ve only just begun.

I have been told by those who know more about such things than myself, that science does not have to include experimentation.
I have faith in science that one day it will be able to demonstrate substantial evidence to show that there are absolute moral laws.

In the case of absolute natural material laws, we know that the property of substances can change physical form, and the natural laws sometimes change with them. Some compounds are stable as a solid, but very volatile as a liquid or gas.
Solid granite does not react to the elements of nature the same as powdered granite. It demonstrates through its existence, different natural laws, depending on the form.

It may be the same with early man compared to recent man.

What I’m getting at, is that what is sometimes referred to as situational morals, might be an expression of the absolute natural moral laws, but with different variables.

The absolute commandment of Thou shalt not steal, may in fact be a gross over simplification of the naturally occurring moral laws, which distinguishes or recognizes variables that permit stealing, under certain conditions.

If all of this is true, it begs the questions, How are we to discover these absolute natural moral laws?

The answer is simple, we try to find them. The natural material laws did not jump out at us, we had to find or discover them.

I would say that in any situation in which a moral decision must be made, the individual is capable of realizing the correct moral action, and accepting to do it, or to violate it.
I would admit that many individuals are not interested in the correct moral action, have no interest in it, and may never consider it as a possible course of action. This is not evidence it is not there.

Natural moral laws in godless Universe...if we assume we are own Gods than we create the moral laws for ourselves, than we assume that the moral laws we must follow/create must be those that coincide with moral laws that others create for themselves...than we assume that these moral laws we create for ourselves are for the benefit of each other and thus must have a common goal, goal is: to keep the harmony of the laws between each other for the common benefit of the universe we live in and ourselves. And there you have it.

Ayn Rand was probably not the first atheist to advocate for absolute morals or values (Objectivism), but I believe she was the first in modern times. I mention this to show the idea is not original to myself, although I did not borrow my explanation or justification from her. My beliefs are not exactly congruent with hers, but do have some commonality.
I am not presenting the philosophy of Objectivism, but have no objections if the thread twists that way.

It is my position that a person who reasons that there can be natural laws with no god, might equally reason that there can be natural moral laws, with no god.

By natural laws, I do not mean the man-made statement representing the properties, characteristics, action and reaction of material stuff, I mean the actual, naturally occurring, stuff that has regularity and predictability, that comes from an ordered cosmos, especially our little corner of it.

When Newton’s apple fell from the tree, it expressed a natural law, later known as gravity.
The natural law, existed before mankind’s understanding of it.

It is nice when reason has substantiation.
In the case of the existence of natural laws, science has taught itself how to test, measure, gauge, observe, experiment, and formulate accurate statements which represent the natural laws themselves.

The two most convincing aspects for a belief in absolute natural laws, is explanation, and predictability.

Good explanations have a high level of probability of leading to accurate predictions of future events, especially under controlled conditions.

This is very compelling substantiation to accepting the belief that there are absolute natural laws which govern the behavior of matter in a very predictable manner.

In the case of a belief in natural absolute moral laws, the substantiation is lacking.
There are no benchmarks, no accurate repeatability of results. No suitable experiments, or modeling.

There is however anecdotal evidence.
There are many things which are nearly universal in their being taboo for moral reasons.
Harm to innocent young children, as an example. Of course there have been cultures or times when certain harm to certain children has been considered acceptable. There is good reason to believe these actions could be immoral, and those who commit these acts, receive the consequences in their own life, or in their progeny.

The good reason being the same as the good reason for first accepting natural material laws; for an orderly existence of sentient beings, right along side an orderly existence of nonliving material.

I read once that mankind has made as much scientific advancements in the last 50 years, as it had in the whole history of mankind up to that point. Someone may have a more accurate or current quote on that.
The point is, we’ve only just begun.

I have been told by those who know more about such things than myself, that science does not have to include experimentation.
I have faith in science that one day it will be able to demonstrate substantial evidence to show that there are absolute moral laws.

In the case of absolute natural material laws, we know that the property of substances can change physical form, and the natural laws sometimes change with them. Some compounds are stable as a solid, but very volatile as a liquid or gas.
Solid granite does not react to the elements of nature the same as powdered granite. It demonstrates through its existence, different natural laws, depending on the form.

It may be the same with early man compared to recent man.

What I’m getting at, is that what is sometimes referred to as situational morals, might be an expression of the absolute natural moral laws, but with different variables.

The absolute commandment of Thou shalt not steal, may in fact be a gross over simplification of the naturally occurring moral laws, which distinguishes or recognizes variables that permit stealing, under certain conditions.

If all of this is true, it begs the questions, How are we to discover these absolute natural moral laws?

The answer is simple, we try to find them. The natural material laws did not jump out at us, we had to find or discover them.

I would say that in any situation in which a moral decision must be made, the individual is capable of realizing the correct moral action, and accepting to do it, or to violate it.
I would admit that many individuals are not interested in the correct moral action, have no interest in it, and may never consider it as a possible course of action. This is not evidence it is not there.

There are no moral laws. Morality is a construct of humankind which, most of the time, helps us to live in harmony, not harm our neighbour as we would not want to be harmed. In short. it camn be regardedas the cement of society.

What is considered moral depends on time and place.

There are no moral laws. Morality is a construct of humankind which, most of the time, helps us to live in harmony, not harm our neighbour as we would not want to be harmed. In short. it camn be regardedas the cement of society.

we are humans for us universe exists when we exist only, as soon as we cease to exist so does the universe cease to exist. Thus moral laws which we created to keep balance and harmony are relevant and DO exist.

If natural moral laws exist, which I believe they do, they are the result of behavior that is beneficial to that species. Evolution in the absense of culture leads to both morals and individuals that challenge those morals. Game theory describes the benefits of morals, and also how some individuals cheat at them.

I don't think a case can be made for moral laws that transcend species. Spiders eat their mates, and it seems to work for them. Neither are natural morals fixed in time, since species change in time. Human culture changes even more rapidly.

If natural moral laws exist, which I believe they do, they are the result of behavior that is beneficial to that species. Evolution in the absense of culture leads to both morals and individuals that challenge those morals. Game theory describes the benefits of morals, and also how some individuals cheat at them.

I don't think a case can be made for moral laws that transcend species. Spiders eat their mates, and it seems to work for them. Neither are natural morals fixed in time, since species change in time. Human culture changes even more rapidly.

Absolutely right in my view. I imagine cannibals have some form of morality. As I said it's about time and place.

we are humans for us universe exists when we exist only, as soon as we cease to exist so does the universe cease to exist. Thus moral laws which we created to keep balance and harmony are relevant and DO exist.

The universe does not cease to exist when we die. I ceases to exist for us, which is not the same thing.

If there is tea in a teacup and tea ceases to exist, the teacup remains but the tea in teacup does not. Anyways perhaps another way to approach this is by realizing that nothing actually ceases to exist, it just exists in a different place/parallel

spidergoatI don't think a case can be made for moral laws that transcend species. Spiders eat their mates, and it seems to work for them. Neither are natural morals fixed in time, since species change in time. Human culture changes even more rapidly.
Think of it in terms similar to physical laws. Do the same laws describe solids as gases, do all of the elements behave the same?
Different laws relevant for different elements or forms.
Different laws relevant for different species. I would say sentient or conscious beings are in a different classification than simple living things.
No immoral acts for amoebas.

[qutoe]Dragon If there is tea in a teacup and tea ceases to exist, the teacup remains but the tea in teacup does not. Anyways perhaps another way to approach this is by realizing that nothing actually ceases to exist, it just exists in a different place/parallel.
All things are transient.

Existence is eternal.

Myles There are no moral laws. Morality is a construct of humankind which, most of the time, helps us to live in harmony, not harm our neighbour as we would not want to be harmed. In short. it camn be regardedas the cement of society.

Do you have justification for your beliefs?
An explanation for why you believe this?
What evidence brought you to this conclusion?

Dragon but this existence is in a different form, do you agree?
Absolutely, existence changes millisecond to millisecond. That is what transient means, changing. My true material existence is not the same as it was yesterday.
My mind is not he same as it was yesterday.
Nothing is the same as it was yesterday.
Everything changes. Even the rocks which seem not to move, are in a process of change.

but obviously there is a fear of loosing the "I" or consciousness of oneself, that existance of that consciousness is lost or does it continue elsewhere after the death of the body?

Dragon but obviously there is a fear of loosing the "I" or consciousness of oneself, that existance of that consciousness is lost or does it continue elsewhere after the death of the body?
I believe in no persistence of personal identity.

A candle is lit. It is used to light another. Then another. And so on. Is the flame on that last candle, the same flame as the first candle?

To lose the "I", is to gain truth.

Dragon and what does that mean exactly? death?
To lose the ego. To become part of something else.
To lose subjectivity and perspective.
For the archer to become the target.

so death?

elevator.self.jpg

You got told!!!

Back