abnoid problem

adman

Registered Member
i am told that my abnois were taken out 2 early and they have grown back twice as large. i know that this is causing heavy breathing but wat else can you do :confused:

I looked all over. As far as I can tell, unless you are German, you are speaking of your Adenoids, which are located in the nasopharanx (I think). They can be very dangerous when large because they can cause abnormal breathing--the heavy breathing you mentioned--and snoring. They can also cause sleep apnea if they block your airway while you sleep. Sleep apnea results in general fatigue and can be very dangerous, even resulting in death.

I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say they were removed when you were too young, but I do know that having them removed is a fairly routine procedure these days. I would question the whole growing back thing. IF they left tissue behind when they removed the adenoids the first time, that would make sense, but they shouldn't have left anything as the adenoids are fairly self-contained.

I think that if your doctor has not answered your questions in a manner that you understand and are pleased with, you need to get a second opinion.

Take this post as coming from someone who studied anatomy for years, but is a little rusty. ;)

Last edited:
Shoshi said:
As far as I can tell, unless you are German, you are speaking of your Adenoids, which are located in the nasopharanx (I think).

Ahh so i was probably right? Now why doesn't that surprise me?! :D :D

thanks yea thats what i was talking about but they said they are supposed to be taken out if needed when u are over 4

I found this which might explain the "age of four" cutoff.

http://www.entassociates.com/tonsils.htm
Tonsils and adenoids are strategically located near the entrance to the breathing passages where they can catch incoming infections. They 'sample" bacteria and viruses and can become infected themselves. It is thought that they then help form antibodies to those "germs" as part of the body's immune system to resist and fight future infections.

This function is performed in the first few years of life, but it is less important as the child gets older. In fact, there is no evidence that tonsils or adenoids are important after the age of three.
I would guess that the thinking is that you might need your adenoids until you're three or four years old.

And yes, adenoidal tissue can grow back, although it doesn't have anything to do with how young you were when they were originally removed. They just sometimes grow back, that's all.

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/experts/ent/qas/0,,242110_175479-2,00.html

I had my tonsils removed when I was very young. I am now 34 and my left tonsil has grown back completly if not much larger. I dont seem to be having any problems though.

Back