a

Secret

Registered Senior Member
((All questions are underlined))

Some weird ideas when I'm reading stuff about morality

For a negative source (e.g. sexual abuse, sadism)
Is it approporate and moral to discriminate/torture/etc. them? (i.e. using negative against negative)

Or is it more approporate to use positive actions to mediate and eventually remove the negative source? (i.e. positive act on negative)

Or is it better to mix both methods together?
i.e. -ve + -ve and then +ve -> +ve

What is the greatest punishment for any evil doers (anything that does something immoral, e.g. uncurable sadistics) that is potent enough to cause them to 'get a lesson' and change into good people or at least causing extreme fear shame/negative related emotion that force them to abandon their immoral acts for life, thereby prevent anymore victims to appear, yet it does not necessarily cause extreme physical and/or mental harm?

Is all human/sentient beings being immune to negative/evil has the same effect as destroying them in the first place?

Checking the definition of 'sin':
Wikipedia
Hatred of good
Thefreedictionary.com
1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.
2. Theology
a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.

Is 'sin' absolute, with not even a single positive component?
If it is, how to define it in modern terms?

Is there an opposite of sin?
i.e. what's the term for "hatred of evil"?

Post your thoughts (not just in terms of christian, but also other religions or non religions at all, we should discuss this in multiperspective)

To achieve peace forever, we must oliberate the origin of the negatives.
(Maybe I watched too much cartoons....)

Original title: Will it work? (Blocked by error 500)

i'd love to know the answer to this question, as i often struggle between wanting to kill people with kindness, and just wanting to kill them.

For a social species such as humans and horses, the ultimate punishment is disassociation, which ultimately will cause decline or demise if the sentence is not reversed.

Some religions call this excommunication.

In observing horses, I find them to generally be 'positive reinforcing', save where the conduct of an individual animal may put the herd at risk. At that point, the offending individual is driven away from the herd and kept distanced until it's behavior is modified or it falls victim to predators.

Humans are an interesting species in that we incorporate the behavior of both prey and predator in our social dealings between each other and often between cultures.

While it is my preference to use positive energy to diffuse negative situations where possible, there is also the situation where one may be dealing with persons of abnormal reaction, those who seem to have been born without the capacity for empathy and/or logical response, or those whose responses are unpredictable from substance abuse.

An interesting thread start, with no easy answers, IMO.

What is the greatest punishment for any evil doers (anything that does something immoral, e.g. uncurable sadistics) that is potent enough to cause them to 'get a lesson' and change into good people or at least causing extreme fear shame/negative related emotion that force them to abandon their immoral acts for life, thereby prevent anymore victims to appear, yet it does not necessarily cause extreme physical and/or mental harm?
You don't seem to accept the premise that many of these people are simply wired wrong. You can't change their behavior without changing their wiring, and our ability to change their wiring, more than a century after Freud's first publication, is still rudimentary.

It would be like asking "what punishment is potent enough for you to get a lesson and abandon your habit of breathing?"

You can't stop breathing. They can't stop doing what they do. You can do all the harm to them that you're willing to do, and it still won't stop them, any more than I can stop you from breathing by torturing you.

Sociopaths are not necessarily just regular people who were raised wrong and need to be taught what's right. They're wrong inside.

You don't seem to accept the premise that many of these people are simply wired wrong. You can't change their behavior without changing their wiring, and our ability to change their wiring, more than a century after Freud's first publication, is still rudimentary.

Sociopaths are not necessarily just regular people who were raised wrong and need to be taught what's right. They're wrong inside.
So life in prison or death.

Back