A Terrorist Khutbah

Preacher_X

Registered Senior Member
just wondering, do you think this speech is racist or promoting terrorism?

im saying it as some guy was debating this with me, so i just like to see what you think.

§outh§tar said:
Would you like to provide a little background info???

:confused:

Southstar,

Dont know where this thread is going but the Khutbah usually refers to the Friday sermon given to Muslims after prayer. I dont know how much non-muslims would know about this :confused: .........peace

I am totally confouded to what on earth the point of this is???

There are question marks in every single post.

Ever check the punctuation of the first verse of The Star-Spangled Banner?

tiassa said:
Ever check the punctuation of the first verse of The Star-Spangled Banner?

Oh say can you see by the Dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the Twilights last gleemings?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars
through the perilous fight,
Over the ramparts it waved
while we were so gallantly fighting.
And the Rockets red glare
the Bombs bursting in air
gave proof through the night
that our Flag was still there.
Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave,
Over the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave?

Just two question marks.

Actually, there's only one sentence without a question mark.

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Source: Univ. of Oklahoma Law Center

See also:

U.S. Library of Congress - Image of handwritten lyrics by F.S. Key, 1840

If you happen to come across a copy of Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, he goes off in the early pages about it. Until I read that bit, I'd never stopped to think about how the song is punctuated.

tiassa said:
If you happen to come across a copy of Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, he goes off in ...

I don't waste my time with 20th Century Literature... especially with 20th Century absurdist Literature. The writing styles are dry and the moral tones are nihilistic. And America has still not had a first rate author.

I do most of my pleasure reading between Austen and Hardy, while sometimes going back to take a look at Fielding and Johnson (to help with my Pomposity and Arrogance).

And America has still not had a first rate author.

For the sake of the current thread I'll leave it at ... er ... wait. Anyway:

• Hawthorne? Salinger? Cady?

tiassa said:
For the sake of the current thread I'll leave it at ... er ... wait. Anyway:

• Hawthorne? Salinger? Cady?

Hawthorne is monstrously dry and boring. Salinger -- I have an Ex-wife who would worship at his doorstep if she could only find him -- is, like every other writer since Hemingway, hopelessly clipped and plebian. Writers should sore like eagles, not peck along on the ground like chickens.

Cady? Who is Cady?

Who, I did like Sommerset Maughm, but he is English, isn't he. But he is my one concession to 20th Century Literature.

Cady? Who is Cady?

America's hidden treasure:

Bibliography @ FantasticFiction
Author Spotlight @ Nightshade Books
Excerpt from Street

In presenting the Iowa Award for Short Fiction, 1972, Joyce Carol Oates noted:

Jack Cady's The Burning has stories that are quite honestly unforgettable--one might almost wish to 'forget' them, because of their power to haunt and disturb, if it weren't for the obvious compassion that underlies their art. The stories are direct, uncluttered, unpretentious. Which is not to say they aren't ambitious--they are very ambitious indeed. It takes no special critical power to recognize in Cady an exceptional writer, who is not just promising but has already achieved some remarkable feats. The Burning will introduce an important new writer and will do honor to the Iowa School of Letters Award for Short Fiction.

(Joyce Carol Oates)

Never met a man quite like him, and even as lucky as I am, I doubt I ever will meet another.

But perhaps we'll have to truck over to Art & Culture to carry out another question: Monstrously dry and boring? Anyone can say that about any alleged first-rate literary master. What sets either Hawthorne or Salinger apart is their grasp of humanity. Hawthorne's themes underpin much of the American experience; on the other end one could conjecture that Salinger is a product of those themes.

As Mr. Cady wrote:

The American writer has a few companions in the world's literatures. Our closest cousins are Russians and Japanese. American literature is far closer in spirit to the literatures of those nations than to English or European literatures. There are probably dozens of reasons why this is true, but one dominates.

American, Russian, and Japanese literatures are, in a broad and general sense, religious. Most literatures are--but what is different about these is: they are unforgiving. Other literatures gladly take on the clash between good and evil (as do American, Japanese, and Russian literatures), but few take on the specter of sin. I use the term sin not in a preacherly sense, but in the intimate sense of the writer in close communion with his or her characters, discovering how those characters feel about their actions.

Pick up a book by an American, Russian, or Japanese, and this question will likely appear: "In a world containing good and evil, what is the proper behavior for a man or woman in a given situation?"

This is not an overwhelming question in French literature. When it appears in English literature, it is usually asked in the context of nationality, not religion. The Spanish are not riddled with the question. Although there are plenty of exceptions, most European literatures see characters as pressed by outside forces. This is why Europe has produced some fine existential writing in the manner of the gloomy French, while America (with the exception of a few Hemingway stories and such) has not. Even our Beat Generation, back in the 1950s when praise of existentialism was at its height, produced little existential silliness, although it did produce an extremely unbeat Allen Ginsberg.

(Cady, 21-22)

Jack Cady's passing, earlier this year, leaves a void that few notice: It will be a while before we see another of his quality and power.

• Cady, Jack. The American Writer: Shaping a Nation's Mind. New York: St. Martin's, 1999
• Oates, Joyce Carol. See The Iowa Award: The Best Stories From Twenty Years. Selected by Frank Conroy. Iowa City: Univ. of Iowa Press, 1991.

Back