A Race Horse: Part Two

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
OK, not really. BUT, because I asked the Buddhist Priest that question he went out and bought me a few books about Buddhism. I asked him what they were about. He said: How should I know they're in English! Then asked me to tell him.

So, I went to the cafe and started one of them.

While the superstitious aspects are covered very superficially (short book) so I'm not really all that sure what's the real meaning. I do have to say a couple of terms LG brought up made an appearance.

I "feel" like the book is pitching. I suppose as people who read such a short book about Buddhism are thinking giving it a go - which I'm not.

Anyway, THIS part I thought was interesting:

The books writes there are two concepts of Buddhism. One mystical (that I don't get and this book is way to simple to go into) and another that is Historical. Of the Historical Buddha the book says that Buddhism was reveled by Buddha Shakyamuni who was a historical person, as Christianity is the gospel brought by Jesus Christ, also a historical figure. (now this next bit I thought was interesting). Even though modern scientific studies show that not every Buddhist scripture prevailing these nowadays is genuine, Buddhism holds that the scriptures still contain the truth of the Buddha's enlightenment.

This I find pretty interesting. Not too many Christians can admit this. Some, but not that many. Even fewer Muslims or Mormons. But, Buddhists, it seems, don't have a problem with admitting this.

That's good,
Michael

because Buddhism is not a religion, its a philosophy. Its not really important who and what did what and when, but for what purpose and how it affects us and how we can change ourselves for the better as a result of this philosophy.

The Pali Canon (50 volumes of text, which takes up 5 feet of shelf space) is the collected suttas of Siddhartha. It was not written until after his death by Buddhist Monks that were a part of his Sangha.
They fully acknowledge that they were putting these words down to the best of thier recollection, and it can not be considered to be verbatim and completely accurate.
100 years later (if I recall correctly), the first Buddhist schism happened when the leading minds from around the region got together to try and resolve difference in interpretations as the words began to spread and be adopted into different belief systems and religious foundations. They broke into three schools.
The Buddhist fundamentalists (if that's an accurate depiction) are the Theravada - they are the ones who still use the Pali Canon and only the Pali Canon.

How did they calculate that? Is there any information about Siddartha?

I saw the wiki, I'm asking what the opinions are based on. I thought you might know.

I never looked into how they verified the historical documents, but he did come from a ruling family.
I assume the documentation is fairly well preserved, but I don't know.

That's a very good question, and now you have me curious.
Let me see what I can find out...

I have always read that it was right about 566 that he was born, but the Wiki states that most modern historians claim it was about 400.
It was Ashoka making Buddhism the state religion in 260 BCE that made it spread the way it did - perhaps that was their starting point? I don't know how much can be verified before that point.
I can't find much information at all.

There are many books about Buddhism that I don't think are very good. I have one that's like the Buddhist bible and it's horrible. The best explanation I have ever read were written by Alan Watts.

I have one that's like the Buddhist bible and it's horrible.

No you don't.
Not unless you have the 50 volumes of the Pali Canon and you can read & understand Pali. There is no book that is the "Buddhist Bible" just MANY different books of many different people's interpretations of what they think Siddhartha meant - most of whom never read the Pali Canon.

I recommend starting with The Dhammapada. It is essentially the Buddhist equivalent of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

Yes, there is an official tome compilied by some Buddhist organization. I acknowledge your criticism of it as incomplete, but I think it is an attempt to codify a shortened version. It even looks like a bible, with a gold stamped cover and chapters and verses.

Yes, there is an official tome compilied by some Buddhist organization. I acknowledge your criticism of it as incomplete, but I think it is an attempt to codify a shortened version. It even looks like a bible, with a gold stamped cover and chapters and verses.

But there are lots of those because there are lots of Buddhist organizations that publish their own "official" versions - and they are all different.
One of my favorites is "The Teaching of the Buddha", which was put out by some Japanese Buddhist organization - but that is hardly an official anything, plus it, like all the others, takes on the particular slant of the organization not to mention the background of the school they follow.

Back