A quick poll

Do you believe:

• Earth has been visited by intelligent aliens recently.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychic powers of some type definitely exist

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Governments know more about such things than they tell us.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Both 1 and 2.

• Both 2 and 3.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Both 1 and 3.

• All of the above.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
I am interested to get an idea of how widespread various beliefs such as the ones listed in the poll are on this forum.

Do you think the poll results reflect beliefs in the wider community, either in the US or worldwide?

I don't think it does, James... if this is the pseudoscience forum, you're going to get skewed results at some point. Plus being on the internet probably skews results too.

James R

I would say that your poll results will not be an accurate reflection of the population-at-large for another reason. The same reason that Sciforums does not reflect the population-at-large.

Joe Q. Public could care less about aliens, paranormal, and government coverups. He's more interest in what he'll cook on the grill tomorrow, when he needs to buy his next case of beer, and whether or not he can get any action with his neighbor's wife.

Sciforums does not really reflect this in its contents. But maybe I have a dim view of Joe Q. Public. If this holds any water then you will find that is the reason that the poll will not be an accurate reflection.

Sciforum members do not represent john q public at all. The sample size is too small and the results can be skewed to one side or other. Bell curve, it is not. Standard deviation will not be even close.

On the otherhand Pseudoscience visitors just might even out the results....

If you wanted an accurate poll you would find 100 people to participate, and then all of them to answer your poll.

Then with that you could say that x% voted 2, then x% of 1000 would vote that or x% of 1,000,000 voted that.

With these polls it can go hideously wrong because some people log in under another name and just skew your votes in a direction that they want it to go, rather than one it should naturally go.

Personally I'm going to tell you my vote: 2 & 3.
Reason 2 I know exists and 3 I know governments keep quite about things, but usually just so as not to panic a populous. (e.g. Mass Hysteria)

For a simple proof of the latter without placing anything towards a government, Look at the Playstation 2 when it got released this time last year, people were mugging each other over getting them.

Back