a question about pearls

eddymrsci

Beware of the dark side
Registered Senior Member
I got a question, I heard from somewhere - some articles and books - that the pearl, especially in the form of powder, is capable to accelerate the healing of wounds (from cuts, scratch, and burns, etc.) and is able to better human health in a variety of other ways. I thought it was interesting. Has any of you heard of anything like that? any comments or more info?

Also, the articles also mentioned that the powder can accelerate the process of clotting or stopping the bleed. How does it accomplish that? what's so special about pearl or does it have some knd of hormone that can speed up the gathering of platelets at the wound? I think another possibility is that the molecules of powdered pearl have rigid, rectangular shapes. Any suggestions?
Thanks

by the way, as some of you may probably notice, i have been away for the last two weeks, partly due to internet problems... haha:D well here I am again, good to you see you people again.:)

Pearls are made of layers of calcium carbonate and aragonite bonded together by conchiolin (a protein). Basically it's the same stuff that makes up the shell. The only thing that medical science uses them for is a source of calcium.

~Raithere

Also, let's not forget that pearls are beautiful, rare and costly. How many things do we think beneficient for us in one way or another -- just because they are beautiful, rare and costly?

In the end, it is not rarely the beauty, rarity and costliness of something that makes us feel good and thus helps us to heal faster, rather than the actual chemical matter.

Back