A pretty good hoax? Or did this guy stop aging?

cafinater

Registered Member
It's an intriguing idea anyway...

From the introduction page of AgelessGene.com:

"One night, checking the logs of my chat bot, I came across four most unusual and fascinating conversations. They were from a man who seemed desperate to share a closely guarded secret, and after a particularly painful day and a few glasses of wine, chose to confide in my chat bot."

The "secret" was that he stopped aging over a hundred years ago. He assumes it was from some kind of genetic mutation, but can't yet find one gene that could account for it, and thinks a multiple mutation is even less likely... As I said, interesting (fiction?) read. I thought I'd ask some of you if it's theoretically possible a genetic mutation could lead to stopped or very slowed aging.
-Cafinated.

Hmmm... either it's a really good hoax by the person with the chatbot, or it is real.

I do think that genes play some part in aging. Immortality is within reach.

And the flies, it turns out, have a gene dubbed "Indy" (named, not for the race, but for "I'm not dead yet"). If you throttle back the Indy gene, the flies live twice as long.

why? How?

"Since Indy's normal function is probably to cause the uptake of nutrients from the gut, our working hypothesis is that it mimics, in a genetic way, a specific kind of caloric restriction."

http://whyfiles.org/shorties/070old_fly/

eat less, live longer.

cafinater said:
I thought I'd ask some of you if it's theoretically possible a genetic mutation could lead to stopped or very slowed aging.
In humans, very unlikely.

The causes of aging are not fully understood. It is a very complex biological phenomenon. The general senescent phenotype is characteristic of each species. There are a variety of model organisms that are used for aging research. Interestingly, the invertebrate organisms -- Drosophila (fruitfly) and C.elegans (nematode worm) -- have shown us that mutations in single genes can result in greatly increased life spans. But this is not as simple as it might seem as this increased longevity can be very dependant on genetic background. When it comes to vertebrates, however, the aging process is considerably more complex as the same single gene mutations recapitulated in mice have no such effect. There are multiple genes and biochemical pathways controlling aging in vertebrates.

One major theory sees our metabolism as the cause of our aging. According to this theory, aging is a by-product of normal metabolism; no mutations are required. Some of the oxygen atoms taken up by the mitochondria are reduced insufficiently to reactive oxygen species (ROS). ROS can oxidize and damage cell membranes, proteins, and nucleic acids.

General wear-and-tear and genetic instability is another theory of aging and are among the oldest hypotheses proposed to account for the general senescent phenotype. As one gets older, small traumas to the body build up. Point mutations increase in number, and the efficiencies of the enzymes encoded by our genes decrease. Moreover, if a mutation occurred in a part of the protein synthetic apparatus, the cell would make a large percentage of faulty proteins. If mutations arose in the DNA-synthesizing enzymes, the rate of mutations would be expected to increase markedly.

The mutation rate in mitochondria is many times faster than the nuclear DNA mutation rate. It is thought that mutations in mitochondria could (1) lead to defects in energy production, (2) lead to the production of ROS by faulty electron transport, and/or (3) induce apoptosis. Age-dependent declines in mitochondrial function are seen in many animals, including humans.

In addition to environmental factors, there is also a genetic aging program involving at least several genes that we know of. This is an aspect to aging that most people of science forums overlook. Most focus on mutations and free radicals and the like but ignore the fact that we are programmed to die as a result of normal gene function. There is a genome wide down regulation of muscle and tissue maintenance genes as we age. I seriously doubt that any technology we develop will ever overcome this genetic programming that is the result of millions of years of evolution. So as human life expectancy increases due to our increased ability to prevent and cure disease, we are still left with a general aging syndrome that is characteristic of our species. This is worth remembering because unless attention is paid to the genetic mechanisms controlling our aging syndrome, we risk ending up like Tithonios - the miserable wretch of Greek mythology to whom the gods awarded eternal life, but not eternal youth.<P>

Last edited:
It's true that aging is still poorly understood.

Assuming such a guy exists, he does have a right to enjoy his anonymity.

I don't buy this. Ok the writer might want anonymity but why would the bot owner? The whole story sounds like it is based on "The Hulk" moving from one town to another keeping his secret.

He also gives no real detail that would make me believe him (although I did not read past the first conversation). Buy this I mean I did not get a picture of a man of his age. His style of writing his views on the world nothing stood out to make him seem any different from me or anyone else I know. Apart from the direct sharing of his experience there was no other indications of his story to be truthful from indirect indications.

I also believe that it would be within human nature to seek out a human to trust with these issues rather than a bot. You have to look at risk to reward factors here. How many people would have turned him in to be a lab rat? If you consider that he has had over a hundred years to find a person that he feels would not do this! Would you really spend 100 Years + and not find someone to tell this secret too?

Also how does he hide his identity? He would appear to be from a developed country maybe the UK or USA as his English is good. Therefore, he would leave some kind of trail, how does he manage this? I know its no impossible but moving around every 5 years this would be a big problem as you are not just running from immigration officials but also the people that know you. Surely any sane human of great life experience would become adept at seeking out trust which would enable him to live a more settled life. Humans are very adaptable especially if you have almost double the normal life experience surely he would have found a better why to deal with his issues than running away?

He also says that he did not want children in case he passed on this Gene to his children. Well if this happened to him in middle age he would have reached old age before he really know that he was not normal. Some people just age well so it would have taken maybe 30 or 40 years before he would have know he had a problem. Therefore his choice not to have children would have taken place long after most men would have fathered children.

I don't buy this one, I see many flaws and that was only from one quick reading of the 1st conversation. In fact I would not call this even a good hoax it’s just someone testing out a bot with a work of fiction. Maybe it contains the thinking for a book someone is writing.

Also if you were the Bot owner would you not try and find this person? He said he had details that might lead to him, so why not find him? The Bot owner is clearly proving that he would not divulge the man’s identity by hiding his details therefore maybe this man would trust him if he saw this proof.

Also why also ask people to fill out such a detailed Poll and the articles? I think this is a research student. But I give him his credit he does appear to be very clever.

Back