A little ethic dilemma.

Victor E

Registered Senior Member
There's two classes, with different teachers.

They both have the same mathematic test, but the teachers choose to put it like this (max result on test are 40):

First teachers:

G = 16-26 points
Vg = 26-35 points
Mvg = 35-40 points.

but the other teachers doesn't do like this, instead:

G = 20-30
Vg = 30-35
Mvg = 35-40.

On of the students, which got the first teacher gets 29.5 points on his test, what rank should he have? G or VG?

The two classes are in the same school.

He should get VG because that follows the rules laid out by his particular teacher. What the other teachers do is frankly their business.

peace

c20

Victor E said:
So what about the student in the other class, with 29.5? He only got a G.

Unlucky. The teacher has marked them that way. That's it. The student has recourse surely?

c20

when taking a class, the student is generally given a syllabus which contains grading policies. by continuing to take this class they have, in effect, agreed to abide by the rules, policies, etc., laid out in the syllabus.

I'm assuming there will be more than one test in the class, and if he's doing VG work, then a 29.5 won't really hurt him. If he gets a 30.5, his class average will be VG.

No real problem.

It's just a question about consistancy in the grading system. Personally I feel the teachers need to have a little talk about the issue of consistancy. Unless of course they are deliberately trying to teach students about the reality of inconsistancy in society in general.

Teachers don't seem to have that kind of leeway in the modern age. Course work is rigid and prepackaged. The students must perform in a finely prespecified manner. Minding all their p's and q's. I am actually quite disgusted when I see my nephews' homework and hear them speak of how their classrooms are run. I frankly don't understand how people are expected to learn in the educational system of today.

I do realize that there is a lot of room for misjudgement in the descriptions I receive from my nephews, but there are certain areas that are pretty cut and dry. For instance, my oldest nephew was required to buy a hundred and fifty dollar graphing calculator for school. Now. This nephew is not a bright student. He's not in any advanced classes. He's a freshman. He has no need of a graphing calculator for retard math. (Speaking of his course work. Everything is multiple choice. He doesn't understand half of what he's supposed to do. He just guesses. Disgusting.)

Anyway.
As to the original question.
Consider that one class is for students at a slightly higher level than the other.
Advanced students shouldn't be graded the same as subpar students. Neither can excel in such a situation.

(I wish some of my nephews were in advanced classes. I think that perhaps much of my frustration with the educational system is that they are all in the 'lower' classes. I was in gifted and perhaps my knowledge of how the educational system worked is skewed because of that.)

out of curiosity--I've never seen the 'G/Vg/Mvg' grading scale before. is it contrived?

Invert Nexus:

Tell me, where do your nephews go to school? Is there an option to enroll them in a private or religious one? Perhaps homeschool?

As to the answer to this test:

Grades ought to be held to the highest standards, thus a 29 ought to be G, not VG. That being said, however, I do believe there ought to be a single standard for grading based on precentages to avoid this sort of nonsense.

Back