A Faith Consistent with Science.

BenTheMan

Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love
Valued Senior Member
Ok, I've never posted here before, but I have been thinking about this problem for a while, and was wondering what some thought. This will probably end badly, but, what the hell.

These are only ideas that I kick around in my head, and do not represent my actual beliefs, lest some of you get the wrong idea about me.

Suppose their was a God. Now, either this God is bound by the laws of nature or he is not. If he is not bound by the laws of physics, then all of human logic is wrong, pursuant to the whims of a Creator who can send floods and locusts at will. Certainly if this is the case, he doesn't act in a way that would convince most of the world to believe him. This seems unreasonable, because if there was a God who loved us, then he would definitely give us a reason to believe in him, aside from a book that was set down 1500 years ago, longer if your Hindu, shorter if you're Muslim.

The God I am interested in thinking about (note: not necessarily believing) is one who must abide the laws of physics. If you do not agree with this, then you can stop reading here.

Now, if you want a god who is consistent with physics, then you are led only to one conclusion, I think. Such a god cannot interact with this universe, except possibly at the instant of the Big Bang. At that instant, however, the universe must have been very small. There is, in some sense, a "wavefunction of the universe". These are seminal papers by Hartle and Hawking (see wikipedia), and others, attempting to define the evolution as described by a path integral. Because the wavefunction's evolution is governed by a differential equation, to specify the solution completely, one needs initial conditions. Then, given a differential equaiton and a set of initial conditions, one can describe the evolution of the system at arbitrary time.

Now the point. If one wishes to believe in God AND natural law, then they must accept that God is decoupled from nature, in the sense that the last interaction of God with the universe was at time t=0. At this time, God could have prepared a wavefunction and imposed suitable boundary conditions, including various miracles obsreved by people throughout the history of faith. God could have tuned the initial parameters in such a way that evolution occured to give the end product of humans, at exactly this point in space and time.

What this also means is that, if you want this kind of God, you must accept that there is no such thing as free will. This also means that God must (essentially) make all of the quantum mechanical measurements in the history of the universe

So, I submit that a God consistent with physics is not consistent with free will.

Discuss.

Perhaps you could reconcile the free-will issue if this hypothetical god were to be able to continually affect the universe (in a butterfly effect method) by manipulating quantum events. QM theorizes that reality is composed of a constant web of probabilities. Each particle has a range of probabilities for what it will do. God could chose within this range of probabilities in order to achieve a specific effect.

Or, it could be that god sets these ranges so that the effect is inevitable, but unpredictable. This way he is able to change the universe, but allow free will at the same time.

Now, if you want a god who is consistent with physics, then you are led only to one conclusion, I think. Such a god cannot interact with this universe, except possibly at the instant of the Big Bang.
Ok - but then why does God have to be consistent with physics?
If God implemented the Big Bang, say - i.e. at t=0 - and then no longer interacts with it, then why does the god itself have to be consistent with the internal physics of the Universe?

What if he set ours in motion, and then decided upon another Universe with completely differing laws of physics?

Now the point. If one wishes to believe in God AND natural law, then they must accept that God is decoupled from nature, in the sense that the last interaction of God with the universe was at time t=0.
But what of those that hold that God = Nature, or God = Existence? Afterall it seems that many of the "qualities" of some God's described on this forum are basically identical to the "qualities" of existence.

Just some thoughts.

Seems reasonable. A constant chain of cause and effect from the change of t=0 to t=1 that ultimately determines the habitable conditions of Earth and the life on it, a.k.a. evolution, through the natural laws of the universe. Is t=0 possible?

In regards to the free-will problem i see it like this - you basically have free will to move within a limited framework.
I.e. there is only a finite number of decisions i am actually able to make, but out of the choices i have on offer i am actually able to excersise free-will.
So in a sense we do have free-will but just as philosophers have argued that you can never have 'absolute democracy' you can never have absolute free-will for the same reasons - it would result in complete chaos.

Back