A drug dealer's fate in Egypt

otheadp

Banned
Banned
no, you won't hear about decapitations or beheadings (for a change)
but the punishment is too heavy nonetheless

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/435860.html

an Israeli citizen (of Arab origin) was arrested for selling hashish to an undercover Egyptian cop at a tourist place in Egypt

for that he was given a life sentence (25 years)
considering that hashish has been historically, and is currently, a very popular thing in the arab world, i'd say it's a pretty harsh penalty

are there political motives influencing the judge's decision? who knows... the harsh penalty seems to suggest so

Last year, a women from Germany was sentenced to death (hanging to be precise) in Singapore because she carried a small amount of hashish with her.
(well, the sentence was revoked in time)

I think a life sentence may not be so hard. I mean, I do not care about drugs, but some countries do not want any drugs. I can understand the measure of the punishment. I do not like it, but perhaps it frightens some of the other dealers off.

When you say, "some countries do not want any drugs", doesn't that really mean that those in charge of said countries do not want their people having access to drugs? After all, no one is distributing them for free.

This is not uncommon; I wouldn't want to be caught with drugs in Buddhist Thailand...eek! This transcends nationality this is the way law is practiced in these states, if you are stupid enough to actually carry them in those states, c’est la vie.

Yes Repo Man, that is what I mean. So then, some countries do not want their people to have access to drugs. But I doubt that governments like it when drugs are shipped through their country. So I suppose that some just do not tolerate drugs.

The fact that he was an Israeli surely didn't help his case. But a crackdown on drugs in general may be a move to appease the growing fundamentalist movement in Egypt. Don't forget, these fundamentalist busibodies want to ban the sale and use of all drugs, including alcohol.

A friend of mine used to live in thailand and made a living (a very good one) selling hash and weed. He came back alive but I can't say I would have been overly sympathetic if he'd been caught. He went there knowing exactly how dangerous it was, it's like running around over there screwing prostitutes without a condom and complaining if you contract AIDS. He was an idiot!

I agree the punishments are outrageous but it's not like he wan't aware of the potential consequences, it's not like we're talking about Jean Val Jean or Nelson Mandela type of situations here.

Last edited:
Those people are barbarians. Don't talk to me about perspective either, nobody deserves to have their entire life taken away for something so minor.

lol, it's almost the same in the US. Three strikes dealing and you could be looking at 20 years, don't give me this barbarian nonsense.

Frisbinator

True, but a person who deals in illegal activities in nations who aren't the best at preserving the rule of law should know what is coming to them. The man was obviously a moron…

Frisbinator said:
Those people are barbarians. Don't talk to me about perspective either, nobody deserves to have their entire life taken away for something so minor.

I'm guessing you are a Westerner.. :rolleyes:

the problem with this particular case is that hashish is very mainstream in Arab countries
it's been mainstream for a very very long time
so it's not a big deal or a big taboo like in Singapore or something

buffys said:
lol, it's almost the same in the US. Three strikes dealing and you could be looking at 20 years, don't give me this barbarian nonsense.

Actually, in my state, California you have to have violent felonies to qualify for three strikes.

In any event, if you can't figure it out after two, seems you belong behind bars for a long time.

If for nothing else, than being stupid.

They don't have to be violent felonies, which has led to absurdities such as a man being sentenced to life for breaking and entering and stealing a pair of shoes.
In 1994, my granddaughter, Polly Klaas, was snatched from her bedroom and murdered by a man who should have been behind bars. In response, our family and Californians rose up and passed the Three-Strikes Law - a deceptive law we were led to believe was designed to remove only violent predators like her murderer, Richard Allen Davis, from our streets.

Today I am writing to let you know the rest of the story. Shortly after the disappearance of my granddaughter, every agency of the government, an overwhelming number of private organizations, and individuals joined in the massive worldwide search for Polly. The only government official who turned us down was then Gov. Pete Wilson, who did not respond to our request to have the California State Guard join the search.

Meanwhile, Mike Reynolds was working to get his version of The Three-Strikes Law on the books. Initial reaction in the legislature to his proposal was that it went way too far and was unworkable. That changed overnight when tragedy struck our family. Suddenly everyone wanted Three-Strikes, and we did too.

Shortly thereafter, Gov. Wilson came to Polly’s internationally televised memorial service in Petaluma and used the opportunity to inaugurate the Three-Strikes Campaign and kick off his own campaign for reelection.

Some time after, I got the chance to sit down and read the Three-Strikes Law. The most striking things were the clauses referring to serious crime and any felony for the second and third offenses. After further investigation of the meaning of those clauses, I discovered that this Three-Strikes Law as written would be applied to nonviolent petty crimes. In response, my family withdrew our support.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=286

I was marginally for a 3 strikes law for violent offenders. But it was only after it passed I realized we had been had. Great news for the prison industry though.

Listen, it all comes down to how much this guy was charging.
If it was over $15.00 bucks a gram he deserves what ever he gets!
hehe
Seriously.

That sentence is on-target according to the American War on Drugs.

Naturally, I disapprove.

Back