A curiosity

Cyperium

I'm always me
Valued Senior Member
Mark 8:22-26
22 They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man's eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, "Do you see anything?"
24 He looked up and said, "I see people; they look like trees walking around."
25 Once more Jesus put his hands on the man's eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 Jesus sent him home, saying, "Don't go into the village."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your thoughts on this? Could this passage mean something in a higher sense?

NO:he not a very nice person, Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. matt 11:20-24
Jesus will send his angels to gather up "all that offend" and they "shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." matt 13:41-42, 50

two wrongs dont make a right.

mis-t-highs said:
NO:he not a very nice person, Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. matt 11:20-24
Jesus will send his angels to gather up "all that offend" and they "shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." matt 13:41-42, 50

two wrongs dont make a right.
Wow. That wasn't at all what I suspected :).

If you want the answer for that one, then please do so in another thread and not mine - that is, if you can't show me the connection your post have with my thread.

Last edited:
you ask if this could mean a higher sense, and my answer is No.
and then I tell you, why it's No, and no, I dont need any answers.
your thread state jesus to be good, I'm just letting you know thats not quite true.
I'm sorry if I upset you. but you should read your bible.

OK I agree it's a curiosity, why the heck should he not go back into the village?

Cris, in quite a few of the miracles that Jesus did, he told those who were cured not to tell anyone.

okinrus,

But what purpose did the myth-makers have in mind when telling such stories. Aren’t they a bit shortsighted? Surely the blind-man's friends and family will notice that he is different and then the secret will be out.

It looks like they wanted to portray their mythical character as very powerful but compassionate and modest as well, yet the entire point of the miracle stories is to demonstrate godlike powers and that objective would be foiled if they were kept secret. This is emphasized further when we realize that there would have been thousands of others in the world at that time who were blind and if God/Jesus were truly compassionate then they could have cured all of them instantly. But they didn’t because compassion isn’t the objective here but merely a demonstration of godlike power – the blind man (the person) was not important, he was merely a convenient example.

It looks like the myth-makers didn’t think this through very thoroughly, but then very few myths can withstand close scrutiny.

Perhaps he enabled the blind man to see all the sins and crimes that existed in the village, and his advice not to go back into the village is a warning, because the blid beggar would become like them.

mis-t-highs said:
you ask if this could mean a higher sense, and my answer is No.
and then I tell you, why it's No, and no, I dont need any answers.
your thread state jesus to be good, I'm just letting you know thats not quite true.
I'm sorry if I upset you. but you should read your bible.
I didn't actually state that Jesus was good. But if we should trust the passage then by all means, Jesus was good (in our sense of the word, otherwise no one is good but God).

But I didn't find where you gave the reason why that particular passage couldn't mean anything in a higher sense.

I should be honest with you, I meant especially that the man saw people that looked like trees walking around :) I thought that this might have a higher meaning in the healing process. I thought that maybe it could give insights as to how his sight was restored, or even insight in how the brain is processing the information from the eyes.

Back