a bit of a problem

coluber

Registered Senior Member
A friend of mine and I are working together on a little experiment, which required the use of Daphnia. We decided to work at his house, which was a mistake. He has a very unique little brother who while we were out getting supply's decided to drink down the entire beaker of daphnia as a dare from his equally unique little friend. When we got home and realized what he did we had him puke out the contents of his stomach in the nearest toilet. The boy is about 7 years old and around 75 pounds, do you think there will be any serious repercussions from this incident?

water fleas...interesting...i wonder how they tasted - well, since fish eat them regularly i dont think they are especially toxic, but those are fish... since you got most of them out, i would be more worried about parasites from the water they were in or came from

Last edited:
As far as I know, the Daphnia aren't toxic. Was it a pure culture, or was it pond water? Was it preserved? Giardia infection may be a little more of a worry if it was pond water. You will know very in a few days if that is the case (severe diarrhea). There are drugs for it, however, and it's not fatal.

water fleas...interesting...i wonder how they tasted - well, since fish eat them regularly i dont think they are especially toxic, but those are fish... since you got most of them out, i would be more worried about parasites from the water they were in or came from

well he said they tasted salty :bugeye: He gulped down a pure culture and its been around a week now, he seems to be fine.

There is no danger. Daphnia aren't toxic, and if there is no pathology after a week, then Giardia can be ruled out. Their incubation time is very short...within a couple days.

they will be digested in the hydrochloric acid, what i was worried about is that they mannege to get ito his blood stream or some other place witha near neutrol pH

Oh believe me he has very much learned his lesson, although that’s not a bad idea as soon as he learns to properly read. :eek:

I worked in a lab that had a Halloween tradition of eating Daphnia. Each year in october the technician would grow up a huge batch of them. Then on Halloween we would spread them on crackers and eat them. It was somewhat of a rite of initiation for the new people.

How did it taste?

[Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura] Which way to the washroom? *whispers* I think it's the pate. [/Jim Carrey]

Rather tasteless actually. I'd describe it more as a texture thing, all those chitinous shells. Like if you took a bunch of shrimp shells, chopped them up a bit, and put them on a cracker.

Back