'72

Tyler

Registered Senior Member
Seeing as we're coming up on the 30th anniversary of the greatest moment in sports history, I thought I'd share with you a little bit of what has become Canadian folk lore. A take passed from father to son every year, a series reveered as the greatest in hockey's history and a goal which will be re-enacted by millions of kids on millions of frozen ponds across Canada. I ask that those of you who know the story and the outcome do not share it with others and I think it would be a cool idea if everyone who doesn't know just wait for my posts to find out how things unfold.

Firstly, for those who don't understand of what importance hockey is here in Canada let me explain a little. When our Olympic mens team set out in both 1998 and 2002 the only thing you could hear on the radio was debate over whether we would win gold. Not could we - would we. It's not possible that a Canadian team could ever be considered less than favourites to be the best. That would be simply unthinkable. We're Canada and we are hockey. Anything less than gold is, literally, a grave disappointment. Our junior team (in the World Junior Championships with players who have less than 40 games of NHL experience and are under 23 years of age) won 5 years in a row during the nineties and hasn't won gold since. We've won silver and bronze and both tournaments were considered huge failures. There is a frozen pond or outdoor rink within every square mile in Toronto and Toronto is the most Americanized city in Canada. During the months of winter when the frozen rink right outside my school is active, I go to about 2 periods a day at max. My teachers know where I am. Just as they know where the other 30 boys who are out there are. They never yell at us and they never try and argue with us because they know we're simply going to play hockey. Students can walk into the VP's office and say they were late because they slept in and the secretary will say that's never a good enough excuse. I walk in and say I was late because I wanted to play hockey and they'll smile and say something like "you should come to school, not play hockey!" in a very joking manner. My school's varsity team practices weekday mornings. Every morning 22 of us are late to class because we went home to shower and clean up and get dressed. Every morning the office let's us in late and only us. Not one other sports team is allowed to be late because of practice. My family has avoided trips because of my hockey. I can get caught doing something stupid and my parents will threaten to kick me out of everything and ban me from everything but kicking me out of hockey is as unthinkable an act as killing me. Every year around March when the outdoor rink shuts down I go through a period of depression and withdrawl. During winter break at school there's about 4 hours of the day I can legally spend at the outdoor rink (there are three age groups; 12 under, 13 to 17, 18 over). I usually spend about 9-10. I'll go and play in my age group and at the start of winter when I was 15 I begun to hang around and play with some of the regulars who were older. After gaining their respect I became allowed to play in the older age group. I can sit on the bench now and watch as a 17 year old kid gets kicked off the ice by a guy on my team who knows my age. Hockey is ritual in Canada. It is a tradition and nothing short of a religion. To quote Roch Carrier "I lived at three places, my home, my school and the rink".

The year is 1972. Canada invented hockey. Canada is the undisputed kings of hockey. While the majority of NHL (National Hockey League) teams are located in the US, the vast majority (8 years later, it would still be 85% Canadians in the league) of players are Canadian born and trained. To consider any other nation capable of defeating our best players in hockey is a laughable act. We've never been tested and every one of the greatest players in the game has been Canadian.
Or, so we think.

The Soviet Union's major sport was soccer; however, they were quickly beginning to love the sport of hockey. Areas of Moscow and other parts of Russia were frozen during the winter so young boys could skip out on school and go play hockey 6 hours a day (much the same as their Canadian counterparts). The Soviet Union had looked at Canadian hockey and begun to develope their own theories on the game. The Canadians played with grit and determination, preffering to win through bumping and grinding our way to the goal. Of course, we had all the talent we could want in players such as Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard and Bobby Hull over the years. That said, each one of these players was still known to throw a check, drop the gloves or do whatever else was necessary to win. The Russians figured we were playing the game all wrong. Canadian teams (that is, NHL teams which had about 21 Canadians and maybe 2 Americans) usually had a few star players and liked to set up a system to be rewarded because of these players. The Soviets decided their hockey would be much like their political system; every one worked as a team. It didn't matter how much better a player you were than your linemate, you were going to fit into the team mold and you were going to play by the coachs plan. Every Soviet player was capable of playing more than one position. If one guy got out of place, another would cover for him. The Soviets also worked on creativity on the offense, a skill which seems lacking in many Canadian players today (though that's another debate). The Soviets were told in junior to score. After all, that's how you win games. The Soviets were fast becoming a powerhouse, and we didn't have a clue.

In 1972 Alan Eagleson set up an 8 game series between a collection of the NHL's greatest Canadian stars and the Soviet's national team. It was to be a simple little 8 game winning streak where Canada would once again prove it's superiority in hockey. Our team was mearly a throw together of various NHL superstars who had never really played together. They did little training and little insight into the Soviet team. After all, one scout remarked "Tretiek (Soviet goaltender, the only non-NHL player to now be in the Hall of Fame) can't stop a single puck". The Soviets, mean while, were practicing as a team 3 months ahead of time and studied film of Canadian hockey. They became nothing but a well-oiled machine in peak physical condition, while our guys were enemies every other day of the year and not in the best of shape. Of course, Canadian citizens and our players and coaches didn't know this at all.

The last point I'd like to make before posting about the first game is that the Canadian team was a collection of NHL superstars. The problem is, there was another league at the time with some of our greatest players - the WHL. The WHL had Bobby Hull (arguably the best goal scorer since Maurice Richard) and Gordie Howe (now called Mr. Hockey). Not to mention one of the top two hockey players of all time, Bobby Orr, was injured and completely unable to play. But like I said, we were still confident that there wasn't a single chance we could loose a game let alone the series.

So it all began in Montreal. Four games to be played in Canada, four in the Soviet Union. In the beginning, it was a couple of hockey games. By the end, it would never be described as anything less than a war.

The following exert is from 1972summitseries.com. The Canadian players who played in that tournament hold the rights to their story and are coming out with a DVD collection soon. You can bet I'll buy it.

Game 1:
It was supposed to be a cake walk for Team Canada

Everything was going according to plan when Canada scored on the first scoring chance of the game just 30 seconds into the action. Phil Esposito, who seconds earlier enthusiastically won the ceremonial faceoff, potted a Frank Mahovlich rebound past a flopping Vladislav Tretiak.

By the 6:32 mark Canada upped the score to 2-0 when Paul Henderson wired a hard but seemingly harmless shot to Tretiak's far side. Tretiak looked awkward as he feebly attempted to knock down the puck.

The predicted rout was on.

"When I got on the ice," remembered Rod Gilbert in Scott Morrison's excellent book The Days Canada Stood Still, "it was already 2-0. Before I played my first shift it was 2-0, so I'm sitting on the bench saying, 'Let me on. Let me score my goals.' I figured it was going to be 15, 17-0, and I wanted to score a few goals."

Gilbert's thoughts at that point were the common thoughts of almost every Canadian watching the game, and certainly of all the players playing in it. It was a feeling that Canadians not only shared during those opening minutes of the game, but during the entire training camp and since the day the tournament was announced. For that matter, Canadians felt that confident about their hockey dominance ever since the Soviets arrived on the international hockey scene in the 1950s.

Those thoughts came to end before this night was over.

The Soviets settled their nerves after following behind early and began to play their game of wonderful passing and skating. The overconfident Canadians eased up, and the Soviets took full advantage.

Evgeny Zimin, a mini-speedball, took a pass from gigantic Alexander Yakushev and bulged the twine behind Canadian puck stopper Ken Dryden at 11:40. Before the period was over the Soviets scored a back-breaking goal while killing a Canadian power play. The great Vladimir Petrov scored as he easily tapped a Boris Mikhailov rebound past a hapless Dryden.

The score was tied at 2. But the Soviets simply dominated the second half the period. They mesmerized the unsuspecting Canucks with their precision playmaking, effortless skating and intricate and inventive offense.

"I remember walking into the dressing room after the first period and talking to Yvon Cournoyer," said a young Marcel Dionne in The Days Canada Stood Still. "He just looked at me and said, 'You can't believe their strength and conditioning.'"

The Soviets continued to impress their opponents and the increasingly quiet Montreal Forum faithful in the second period, specifically the electrifying Valeri Kharlamov. Considered by many to be the greatest Soviet player of all time, Kharlamov scored twice in the middle frame. His explosive speed and scoring ability made him a household name in Canada after that fine period of play.

The rout was on, but definitely not as predicted.

The Canadians had a brief moment of hope in the third period when Bobby Clarke, who was named Canada's best player in this historic game, scored to make it 4-3 in the first half of the period. The Canadians came out and played their best hockey in the opening 10 minutes of that third period, creating several scoring chances only to be foiled by the amazing Tretiak. The scouting reports were wrong about Tretiak - not only could he stop the puck, but time would prove he was one of the all time greats.

The Soviets were able to withstand the Canadian onslaught by playing a patient defensive game. They waited for good opportunities to attack, and when they did arrive they capitalized. Mikhailov and Zimin scored 57 seconds apart to pout the game out of reach by the 14.29 mark. Yakushev added one final blow late in the period.

Everyone was surprised by how good the Soviets were - including the Soviets themselves. They came to Canada largely believing all the hype about how Canada's professionals would easily defeat the "amateurs" from Russia

The Russians used their advantages to their fullest extent. They were a team in the truest sense of the word. They had been playing and practicing together for months, not weeks like the Canadian players, and it showed. They were also incredibly better conditioned - they trained year round, while the Canadians enjoyed their summers and used training camp to get back into shape.

Again I ask, please, no one spoil the story by posting further results. I will post one game of the 8 game series every day.

Oh, and in case you don't know, here's how an eight game series works: two points for a win, one for a tie. Whoever walks away with the most points wins. Not that Canadians thought it mattered - but in the case of a tie, winner is the one with most goals.

Haha. You'd be surprised what the reactions are from some people when you talk about hockey. For instance - none on sciforums!

Okay, so for those of you following Game two was held two days later in Toronto. The nation was in distress after game one. To quote my dad (a normally very articulate man); "We were stunned. I mean we were...we were...we were just stunned. Nothing else explains it." Game two was when the hockey series began to become a war, when the games got rough...

Canada's arrogant thoughts of easily crushing their communist counterparts had backfired on them, thus meaning Team Canada simply had to win this game to restore confidence in the Canadian people, and themselves.

After a scoreless first period, Phil Esposito, who was quickly establishing himself as the undisputable leader of Team Canada, opened the scoring in the second period. Yvon Cournoyer used his blazing speed to make the Russian defense look slow on an early powerplay marker in the third period, but the Big Yak, Alexander Yakushev, pulled CCCP within one just 4 minutes later on a powerplay.

Yakushev's goal was the only one that would get by Tony Esposito - Phil's brother - who had replaced Ken Dryden in the Canadian nets. It was a good move as Esposito played well and adapted well to Soviet's criss-crossing offense.

On the same powerplay, Pete Mahovlich scored what was perhaps the most remarkable individual effort of the series to score a goal. With Canada two men short, the lanky "Little M" picked up a Phil Esposito clearing attempt just inside the center line. Faking his patented slapshot, Mahovlich deked a Soviet defender and drives in alone on Tretiak. He faked a forehand shot, went to his backhand, and while falling on top of Tretiak managed to slip the puck into the net by using his impressive long reach. To this day Tretiak is puzzled as to how the puck made it past him, as he knows he played the shot perfectly.

Peter's amazing solo rush awed the Soviets. Big Brother Frank Mahovlich teamed up with Czechoslovakian born Stan Mikita a little over 2 minutes later to cement the win. Mikita stole the puck behind the goal and centered to the unchecked Big M who one-timed a shot off of the post and behind Tretiak.

Led by Phil Esposito's inspiration and Tony Esposito's stellar goaltending, and Pete and Frank Mahovlich's heroic goal scoring, all was well in Canada again.

The Canadians were successful because they played the simplest of game plans. They dressed a more physical lineup and focussed on a fierce forechecking game as well as a tight defensive game. The players were willing to listen to their coaching staffs after being stunned and humiliated in game one. The arrogant NHLers didn't believe that what happened could happen in game one, and after it did they were all very attentive to their coaches advice. By doing so, they restored their pride.

"They were more respectful of us in the second game," said Soviet captain Boris Mikhailov. "They understood we could play good hockey. They played very well, a very physical game. We had not seen such a style game."

Game three tomorrow and on to Winnipeg! If anyone has thoughts or questions, feel free to post them.

Whew. Canada breathes a sigh of relief. We found our legs and woke up a bit and now we'll beat them the next 6 games. After an early embarassment Canadians can rest easy knowing that Team Canada is more than capable of defeating the amateur Soviets. After all; we're Canada!

One of Canada's top players was deliberately left off the Team Canada roster for the 1972 Summit Series. Bobby Hull had jumped to the World Hockey Association, and the NHL decided not to include him on Team Canada.

So Hull was forced to watch in the stands in his new hometown of Winnipeg on September the 8th, 1972. He, like the rest of Canada, wondered which Team Canada would show up: The one that bombed in Montreal, or dominated in Toronto.

The answer was both. Canada probably should have won the game, but they blew two two-goal leads during this game. It became obvious that this team was not yet in good enough condition or playing as a cohesive unit.

Despite out shooting the Russian 15-9 in the first period, Team Canada only led by a 2-1 margin. Canada played very well in the first period, led by Jean Paul Parise's goal just 1:54 into the game. Vladimir Petrov answered back for the Soviets, but Jean Ratelle tapped in a wonderful pass from Yvon Cournoyer to give Canada the lead after one.

Canada was playing a very physical game, however Wayne Cashman was being watched closely. He made his presence felt in game 2 so much that he was all the Russians would talk about after the game. They didn't appreciate the physical liberties he took on them, and the referees failure to enforce the rules. On this game he wasn't being allowed to use his usual tricks.

A wild second period saw the Soviet's secret weapon unveiled. In what amounted to the Russian version of the "Kid Line," the Russians dressed Yuri Lebedev, Alex Bodunov and Viacheslav Anisin for the first time. The trio represented the future of Soviet hockey, and they contributed hugely to the tie in Winnipeg.

Canada opened the second period scoring thanks to Phil Esposito. Valeri Kharlamov answered with a short handed goal only to have Paul Henderson restore the impressive 2 goal lead.

Cue the Kid Line.

At 14.59 of the second period, Yuri Lebedev deflected a Valeri Vasiliev point shot. Then at 18:28, the talented Alexander Bodunov took a nice centering pass from Viacheslav Anisin to tie the game at 4.

"They put out that young line we hadn't seen before and they dominated us," said coach Harry Sinden.

The third period featured no scoring, and relatively few shots with the Russians edging out Canada 8-6 in the shots on goal department. But the period wasn't nearly as close in terms of territorial play. The Canadians tired noticeably in the third period and were lucky that the Soviets didn't display more of a killer instinct.

Er.......we tied? Wait, wait, wait. So now we've lost, beat and tied the Soviets? Doesn't that mean the series is tied as well? And we only have one game left in Canada?

The Canadian public was growing increasingly frustrated. We were the better team. We were the professionals - they were still the amateurs. At least, in the minds of most of the fans. The players had realized by now the intensity of this tournament and every one of them realized that every second of every game meant the world. Vancouver was to be one of the most important moments in the tournament. After the game was to be one of the most monumental speeches by a player of all time.

Canada, playing without defensive standouts Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard due to injury, got into penalty trouble early. Bill Goldsworthy, inserted into the lineup because of his energy and physical play, was too exuberant and was penalized twice in the opening six minutes. The Soviets made full advantage of their excellent special teams. Two powerplay goals by Boris Mikhailov gave the powerful Soviets a commanding 2-0 lead early

From that point on it was the Vladislav Tretiak show. Tretiak, quickly becoming a hero in Canada even though he was the star of the enemy team, stopped 38 of 41 shots, including 21 in the final period.

Gilbert Perreault scored a beautiful goal to get Canada on the board. It was ironic that it was Perreault who scored such a wonderful goal in Vancouver, as Perreault almost became a Vancouver Canuck a couple years earlier.

But after Perreault's goal the Soviets answered with 2 second period goals of their own. Vladimir Petrov set up Yuri Blinov for a nice goal on a two-on-one break. Later in the period Vladimir Vikulov capitalized from the slot while Team Canada's defenders were hopelessly out of position.

Canada played pretty well in the third period, but most of their 21 third period shots were from far out. Two goals by Dennis Hull and the goat earlier in the game Bill Goldsworthy surrounded Vladimir Shadrin's mid-period tally.

The 5-3 score was actually flattering to Canada on this night. Alan Eagleson honestly admitted "We stunk the joint out."

A crowd of 15, 570 Vancouver fans echoed the rest of Canada's sentiments as they routinely booed Team Canada. At the conclusion of the game, Team Canada was booed right off the ice, which led to Phil Esposito's famous emotional outburst on national television.

"To the people across Canada, we tried. We gave it our best. To the people who booed us, geez, all of us guys are really disheartened. We're disillusioned and dsappointed. We cannot believe the bad press we've got, the booing we've got in our own building.

"I'm completely disappointed. I cannot believe it. Every one of us guys - 35 guys - we came out because we love our country. Not for any other reason. We came because we love Canada."

Espo was in disbelief that Canadians would boo their players and that he assured Canadians that the players were giving "150%" and acknowledge the Soviets as a great team with great players.

This speech seemed to light a fire under Team Canada and the whole country. It helped to gel a team of players who were together for only a few weeks, and who were enemies during the NHL season. Team Canada went to the Soviet Union as, for the first time, a team. A team with a common goal and objective: To kick some Russian butt! And 3000 boisterous and proud flag waving Canadian fans accompanied them!

It was a speech with arguable the largest impact in sports history. Esposito was now the unquestioned leader of Team Canada and the man who shocked Canadians back into supporting their team. When I asked my dad about what his friends and everyone thought about the team's chances, he told me that most of his friends had given up hope until Esposito's speech. After all, we were going to the Soviet Union to play under Soviet refs and to live in Soviet hotels - and we needed to win 3 of the 4 games to tie.

Canada - 3

We were entering the Soviet Union, a game behind the Russians and completely unaware of what life in the USSR would mean to us. We had to win 3 out of 4 games in Russia or face the complete embarassment of being second-best at our nation's game. The Soviets would employ every possible way to beat us mentally in games 5-8. Though Canadian refs were not allowed in the first four games (American refs did the games), the Soviets only allowed Russian refs in the last four games. Our players would be woken up every morning at 5 o'clock in their hotels through prank calls set up by various Soviet officials. The food they served us could hardly be called sub-par and the conditions of our practice areas and facilities were well below those of the Soviet team. Still, Canadians realized that there was no excuse for loosing.

Team Canada nicknamed themselves as Team 50 once they arrived in the Soviet Union. After being unceremoniously booed off the ice in the final game in Canada, the Team felt alone. It was just the approximately fifty of them (players plus the coaches, trainers, doctors etc) behind the vaunted Iron Curtain, and they were taking on the mighty Soviet empire all by themselves.

Or so they thought.

It quickly became obvious that they did in fact have the support of Canadians, and that played a major role in Canada's successes in Russia.

3000 Canadian fans made the trip to Moscow. They cheered on their heroes from bad seats in Luzhniki Ice Palace, but they didn't care. They cheered and partied so enthusiastically that the usually calm and collected Russian spectators seemed to be taken aback by the Canadians behaviour.

And tens of thousands of Canadian back home sent telegrams to the team. The team pasted these telegrams in their dressing room so that they would be reminded of the support that they did indeed have.

Thirteen days separated games 4 and 5. Canada spent a eight days in Sweden, playing a couple of exhibition games. And by the time the team was settled in in Moscow, Vic Hadfield, Richard Martin and Jocelyn Guevremont left the team as they were upset with their lack of playing time. Nearly everyone agreed that there was too much time between games, so everyone was relieved to drop the puck for game five.

Before the puck drop however there were some long pre-game ceremonies to go through. During the player introductions, Phil Esposito immediately made himself a crowd favorite in Russia too, as he slipped on the ice, got up and bowed to the crowd with a huge smile on his face. That was just one of many memorable moments to come in Moscow.

With 3000 noisy Canadian fans cheering them on, Team Canada played the best first 40 minutes had played yet. They built a 3-0 lead, and were dominating the game. Jean Paul Parise opened the scoring in the 1st period, making him the first Canadian professional to score a goal in Russia.

Paul Henderson was the star of this game. Already with one goal, he would crash heavily into the boards and lay motionless for sometime. He suffered a concussion, but refused to listen to doctor's and even the team's advice to sit for the rest of the game. He came back, in true Canadian fashion, and scored on his very next shift! That goal gave Canada a commanding 4-1 lead in the third period

However, something happened in the third period. Team Canada just seemed to stop skating. And the Russians capitalized just like flicking on a switch. Five third period goals on 11 shots had unthinkably given the Russians the win

That was it. That was our one game out of four we could afford to loose. The next three we needed to win our the series went to the Soviets. We needed three in a row, on their turf, and we'd only won one game so far.

Points;
Soviet Union - 7
Canada - 3

We're now 5 points behind the reds. There is three games left. If we win 3 games; get 6 points and win the series. If we win two games and tie one; get 5 points, the reds get one, and the series is tied. If we get any less points than 5, we loose. It's time to step it up boys. Time to play Canadian hockey.

Canada had felt like they were just coming into form finally. Remember this was the beginning of their seasons, and unlike the Soviets who trained almost year round, the Canadians were just coming into game shape. And remember also that while the Russians knew all about the Canadian game, the Canadian knowledge of the Soviet strategy was non-existent entering the series. Now, after five games, Canada felt they were prepared to play the Soviets.

The first period wasn't dominated by Esposito or Mahovlich, or Yakushev or Kharlamov but rather by two guys named Kompalla and Bata. They were the two referees from West Germany that were so brutally bad that it was charged that they were biased. Canadian players were repeatedly sent to the penalty box for questionable and phantom penalties, and there was phantom offsides being called as well. Somehow the Soviets weren't being called for penalties though. By the end of the game, the penalty minutes were 31 for Canada, just 4 for Russia.

Fortunately Team Canada's penalty killing was in top shape for this game, as the Soviets possessed a deadly power play.

After a scoreless first period, a flurry of scoring filled the 2nd. The Soviets opened the scoring as a low shot from the blue line by Yuri Liapkin.

The Canadians didn't deflate however, and instead responded with several strong minutes. Then they shocked the Soviets with three goals in just 1 minute and 23 seconds.

Dennis Hull flipped a Rod Gilbert rebound over a fallen Vladislav Tretiak for Canada's first goal at 5:13. Then at 6:31 Red Berenson was able to center the puck to an open Yvon Cournoyer who buried the shot from the slot. And then just 15 seconds later, Paul Henderson scored what proved to be the game winning goal. He intercepted a pass by a Soviet defender and wired a slapshot past Tretiak.

Team Canada's penalty killing played a huge roll in the outcome. The Soviets awesome powerplay was held to just one goal. That goal came late in the game as Alexander Yakushev made it 3-2 with a little over 2 minutes left.

The Soviets were actually unlucky to not have tied the game. Late in the second period, some people felt that the Soviets had scored a goal, but the officials never noticed and the Soviets never protested.

Valeri Kharlamov was able to flip a light shot over Ken Dryden, but the puck seemed to be stopped by a old-style netting that hung down from the cross bar. The idea of the netting was to keep the puck in the net once it zoomed in there. But in this case, it slowed the puck down, and Dryden was able to reach back and glove it. The call by announcers was that the puck hit the goalpost.

I can only imagine my dad and his friends sitting around the screen watching the Canadian team in the penalty box for half the game because of cheating when the series had been so well-played every other game. Anyway; one game down, two more wins to go.

As I said, one game down and two to go. So with only a pair of matches left Canada needed to step it up once more. The Soviets were not about to step down. Star Soviet player Valeri Kharlamov was gone thanks to Canadian goon/superstar Bobby Clarke. Many people will jump on this as giving the Canadians advantage; but remember that we were without superstar scorer Bobby Hull and best defenceman ever Bobby Orr.

Somehow the victory in game six provided a great sense of confidence in the team. They truly believed that they would win game seven, and then game eight.

Russia would have to play the game without their flashiest superstar in Valeri Kharlamov, who was sitting out this game with a badly bruised ankle thanks to the dastardly Bobby Clarke in game six

Canada got off to a strong start in what might have been the best game of the series. At just 4:09 of the game Phil Esposito opened the scoring thanks to a Ron Ellis centering pass.

Six minutes later the Soviets tied it up. Alexander Yakushev took advantage of a stumbling Brad Park to break in alone on Tony Esposito, slipping the puck between the goaltender's pads.

Park was victimized again for the 2-1 goal late in the period. While killing a penalty the puck bounced off of Park's skate directly to Vladimir Petrov's stick. Petrov easily converted.

Before the period was over however, as Phil Esposito somehow managed to get the puck through a maze of players in front of the Soviet net and past Vladislav Tretiak.

Goaltending was the story of the second period, particularly by Tony Esposito. Russia outshot Canada 13-7 in the frame, but no one scored.

The tie was finally broken early in the third period when Rod Gilbert emerged from behind the net to stuff a backhand shot behind Tretiak.

The lead was short lived however as Yakushev scored his second of the game to knot the score at 3.

After the tying goal Russia seemed to put their attack into a higher gear, but Tony Esposito was up to the task. He made half a dozen spectacular saves. However the Soviet momentum soon subsided, and the teams played tight hockey for the rest of the game.

At 16:26 of that final period, one of the most disturbing scenes in hockey history occurred. Soviet captain Boris Mikhailov and Canadian defenseman Gary Bergman collided along the side boards and began to push and shove. That's when the overmatched Mikhailov committed hockey's cardinal sin and used his skates as a weapon. He kicked at Bergman's shins repeatedly.

Bergman, who was cut but not seriously injured on the play, responded by ramming Mikhailov's head into the chicken wire that was used in Luzhniki Ice Palace instead of Plexiglas.

The the melee could have turned into an all out brawl, as both team benches emptied. Fortunately the two sides were out there to break up the fight and restore calm. An all out brawl would have been a major disaster.

The players settled down but it was Canada who seemed to find an edge of momentum once play resumed. And that enabled Paul Henderson to score his second consecutive game winning goal!

With less than three minutes left to play, Henderson was sprung lose thanks to a nice pass from Serge Savard. Henderson was in alone on two Soviet defenseman - normally an impossible scoring chance. Going in alone on two Russian defenders, he crossed so that the two defensemen were forced to cross positions. Henderson slid the puck through the defenseman's legs and went around. Instead of playing the man, defenseman Evgeny Tsygankov tried to play the puck. He failed to stop the puck and Henderson was in alone. He scored just under the cross bar while falling down, as the defenders tackled him. Yet it was just a hint of what was to come for Canada's newest hero.

Final score: Canada 4: Russia 3

One game left. One game.

One game. We lose - Soviets win the series. We tie - Soviets win the series. This is the most necessary win in the history of sports. If we loose this game, hockey has left Canada and headed to the hated Reds. And I can't imagine a world like that.

It became very apparent early on that the Russian bureaucrats were going to do everything they could to see that the Russian hockey would be victorious, including cheating. And cheating is exactly what they did.

On the evening before the concluding game the Russians switched officials. It was agreed upon earlier that Swedish referee Uve Dahlberg and Czechoslovakian referee Rudy Bata would officiate the final game, but Dahlberg had suspiciously fallen ill - food poisoning was the story.

The Russians said that West German officials Josef Kompalla and Franz Baader, who both horrendously officiated game six, would have to officiate the final game. But Canada wanted no part of that. Those two, Kompalla in particular, proved to be brutally incompetent. The powerplay advantages given to the Soviets so outrageously outnumbered the advantages given to Canada in game 6 that one had to wonder if they were deliberately trying to throw the game.

Canada wanted no part of such an arrangement. Alan Eagleson had threatened to leave without ever playing game eight, and, at least on the night prior to the big game, he had the support of the players on that issue. By doing so the Soviets would lose out on thousands of dollars of television money.

An agreement was made just hours before game time. The Canadians would stay and play game eight and each team would choose one official each. Canada chose Bata, while Russia chose Kompalla.

The Soviet's actions may have done more harm to their cause than good. Team Canada was able to redirect some of the pressure facing them because of this distraction. Yet they remained not only focussed on the hockey game itself, but were more intense and angrier than ever before. Canada coupled that intensity with the momentum and confidence they had gained in the previous two victories.

Team Canada's fears about referee Kompalla were quickly realized. Just 2:25 into the game Bill White was given a questionable penalty, followed by another to Peter Mahovlich just 36 seconds later. The game was just 3 minutes old and already Canada was having to kill off a 2 man disadvantage. Thirty-three seconds later Alexander Yakushev opened the scoring.

Less than a minute later, Kompalla was at it again. At 4:10 J.P. Parise was given a minor penalty that was even more questionable than the others. Parise became enraged, slamming his stick on the ice so that it splintered while he yelled obscenities. Kompalla added a ten minute misconduct on top of the two minute minor.

That almost pushed Parise over the top. Thankfully he didn't quite go over. Parise aggressively skated up to Kompalla, who was positioned along the boards. Parise stopped just shy of doing what would have been one of the blackest marks in hockey history. He pulled his stick well over his head and was about to whack the referee like he was a piñata. Thankfully he stopped himself in time. Kompalla rightfully added a game misconduct onto Parise's penalty total.

Team Canada seemed to settle down after the outburst. And, for whatever reason, the refereeing improved somewhat, too. Canada was still getting penalties, but so were the Soviets. At least the bias wasn't as obviously blatant from that point on in the game.

Phil Esposito scored at 6:45 to tie the game for a few minutes. But by 13:10 Soviet defenseman Vladimir Lutchenko tallied on a powerplay but Canada left the first period tied at two thanks to a wonderful passing play finished off by Brad Park

Canada had survived the early moments and appeared to be in good shape heading into the second period. But a fluke goal put the Soviets back in the lead just 21 seconds into the second frame.

Vladimir Shadrin tapped in a crazy rebound behind a surprised Ken Dryden in the Canadian goal. Big Yakushev fired the puck well over the net, hitting the mesh netting that accompanied the boards instead of Plexiglas as in North American rinks. The springy wiring caused the puck to bounce right back into the slot where Shadrin was waiting.

The goal deflated Canada, and the Russians could feel it. They pressured the Canadian zone throughout the second period, feeling that the game could be put away if they could jump on Canada at this point.

Despite the brilliant netminding by Ken Dryden in the period, the Russian's persistent attack paid off with 3 goals compared to Canada's one. The Russians held a commanding 5-3 lead after two periods of play.

Despite the score, Canada headed into the second intermission very positively. They felt they were playing a good game thus far. And oddly enough, every player on that team will tell you there was an unreal aura of confidence in the room that they were going to comeback. There was not a negative thought among them.

Canada took to the ice led by Phil Esposito. He had an incredible period of hockey. Coach Harry Sinden called period 3 "his finest hour," which is really saying something since he had been Canada's undisputed leader all series.

It was Espo who scored the all important early goal at just 2:27 of the third, narrowing the score to 5-4.

Canada continued to pour it on, and at 12:56 tied up the score, thanks to Esposito once again. Espo refused to be denied as he shook off two defenders and tested Tretiak with a good shot. Tretiak made the stop, but he was unable to stop Yvan Cournoyer's tap in on the rebound.

An interesting melee erupted after that goal was scored, but this didn't involve Team Canada and their on ice opponents, but rather Team Canada and the military policemen in the stands!

The Soviet goal judge did not turn on the red light when Cournoyer tied the score. This enraged Alan Eagleson, who feared the Soviets were going to cry "no goal." Eagleson, who was in the stands, tried to make his way to the public address announcer's booth to make sure that the goal was announced. He pushed his way past several of these military men who did not appreciate Eagleson's actions. They apprehended Eagleson and started to drag him off.

That's when big Peter Mahovlich showed up and poked the militia men with his stick. Mahovlich, who actually hopped the boards and was in the crowd in a scrum with the Russian military men, was quickly followed by his teammates.

Of course now the common joke is that they never should have rescued Eagleson, given his history which was revealed years later. But at the time it was quite something to witness. It was said that Team Canada was at war when they were in Moscow. For a few minutes, they actually did fight Soviet soldiers!

Eagleson was escorted across the ice to the Canadian bench. Embarrassingly, Eagleson shook his fist at the crowd in disgust, while trainer Joe Sgro, dressed in an embarrassing 1970s outfit of red pants, red shirt and red jacket, fingered the crowd..

Somehow, Team Canada was able to remain composed despite this, while the Soviets seemed to be on the ropes and playing for the tie.

For much of the rest of the period it appeared that the Soviets would get that tie, and then they would claim victory on a goals for ratio of 32 to 31.

Then the greatest moment in Canada's sporting history, perhaps in Canadian history period, was delivered by two familiar names.

Yvon Cournoyer intercepted a Soviet clearing attempt and fired a cross ice pass to a streaking Paul Henderson, who had called off the line's usual left winger Peter Mahovlich in order to get on the ice.

The pass was behind Henderson. Number 19 was also tripped up on the play and went crashing into the end boards behind the Soviet defenders..

Fortunately for Canada Phil Esposito was following up on the play. He was dead tired and probably should have gone to the bench, but he was determined to be out there until the end of the game.

Espo poked the puck towards Tretiak for an easy save, but by this time Henderson had gotten back on his feet and gained the rebound. Henderson shovelled the puck towards the goal line, but Tretiak made yet another save, but left another rebound. Henderson, unchecked by any Soviet player, was able to flip the final rebound over a sprawled out Tretiak!

"Henderson has scored for Canada." | Watch The Goal |

The country erupted as did the Team Canada bench. Henderson jumped into Cournoyer's arms just long enough for Denis Brodeur (Martin Brodeur's father) to snap the most famous photograph in hockey history. Shortly afterwards the duo was mobbed by the entire Canadian roster who vacated their bench.

Canada needed to compose themselves for a final 34 seconds, as the Soviets were more than capable of tying up the game in such a short time frame.

Canada sent out a line of Esposito with Pete Mahovlich and Ron Ellis and shut them down for 34 seconds that must have felt like 34 minutes for Team Canada.

When the final buzzer sounded, 3000 Canadian fans burst into the sweetest rendition of O Canada ever heard, as the players embraced on the ice. Some openly wept, something rarely seen among NHL professionals, even after capturing the Stanley Cup.

Only Americans (ESPN.....) could call any other sports moment more important and exciting than this.

Back