153 fish

c7ityi_

Registered Senior Member
In John's Gospel, Jesus miraculously helps his disciples land a large catch of 153 fish: "Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn." (John 21:11)

A fisherman seldom counts his fish -- even he does, he counts in a rough number, not in an exact number -- there is little reason for doing the latter.

153 is a sacred number associated with the vesica piscis or 'vessel of the fish', an ancient Pythagorean symbol used by early Christians to represent their faith.

piscis0aj.jpg

Figure. Two circles, symbolizing spirit and matter, are brought together in a sacred marriage. When the circumference of one touches the centre of the other they generate the fish shape known as the vesica piscis. The ratio of length to height of this shape is 265:153, and is known as the 'measure of the fish'. It is a powerful mathematical tool, being the nearest whole number approximation of the square root of three and the controlling ratio of the equilateral triangle.

Just for the hell of it, I want to put an octopus or jellyfish on the back of my car. Just to see what reaction I can get.

It won't work. They are not archetypes of the collective psyche.

Yaba Daba :m:

c7ityi_ said:
Figure. Two circles, symbolizing spirit and matter, are brought together in a sacred marriage. When the circumference of one touches the centre of the other they generate the fish shape known as the vesica piscis. The ratio of length to height of this shape is 265:153, and is known as the 'measure of the fish'. It is a powerful mathematical tool, being the nearest whole number approximation of the square root of three and the controlling ratio of the equilateral triangle.
Huuumm... interesting....
What is your source? Or this is your thought?

M*W: The fish represent the Age of Pisces that began about 2,150 years ago during the months of February and March, in the coldest part of winter. The story of the fish caught in the net goes back long before the New Testament was written to the time of Pythagoras. Where it is indicated that there were exactly 153 fish caught, it should not be taken literally as actual "fish." The number 153 is a significant cosmological/astrological set point. Counting 153 days from the beginning of the astrological chart would give us the date of August 24 in Virgo. Virgo is associated with water, the sea, sea life, etc. On the other hand recalculating the 153 days retrograde (which is the way it is correctly done and by not counting forward), we come up with the date of September 18, also in the Sign of Virgo. Virgo, of course, symbolizes Jesus' mother and may also symbolize Mary Magdalen. I'm still researching the number 153 for its significance. It is coded in the NT as meaning "fish," but the whole bible is ciphered like that.

i read a book a number of years ago, i recall it had much more of this line of thought.
this was a fuller exptrapolation of the vesica piscis and it relation to that particular scripture as well as other scriptural numeric and geometric curiosities.

it was ;
City of Revelation: On the Proportions and Symbolic Numbers of the Cosmic Temple (Abacus Bks.) ~John Michell

there are plenty of cheap copies still available through amazon, abe, alibris etc

ellion said:
i read a book a number of years ago, i recall it had much more of this line of thought.
this was a fuller exptrapolation of the vesica piscis and it relation to that particular scripture as well as other scriptural numeric and geometric curiosities.

it was ;
City of Revelation: On the Proportions and Symbolic Numbers of the Cosmic Temple (Abacus Bks.) ~John Michell

there are plenty of cheap copies still available through amazon, abe, alibris etc
M*W: I just came upon the name of John Michell when I was looking for some references. Right now, this subject is too deep for me. I plan to continue my researsh in this area.

TruthSeeker said:
What is your source?

Blavatsky

ellion said:

Thanks, but I usually don't read

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: I just came upon the name of John Michell when I was looking for some references. Right now, this subject is too deep for me. I plan to continue my researsh in this area.

Don't dig too deep or you'll get burned by the molten lava =D

c7ityi said:
Thanks, but I usually don't read
thats okay, there are other people that do read though.

was it an unusual instance that lead you to read blavatsky?

I hate people that put fish symbols on the back of thier cars. Morons.

ellion said:
was it an unusual instance that lead you to read blavatsky?

I think it was when I was looking for people who agree with me when I say that gravity and magnetism are the same thing.

water said:
Hm. Fishes.
Here's a logo with 3 fishes that I always thought fascinating.
3 fishes in a blue circle.

I see no fish...

spidergoat said:
With all that fish, you would think the disciples would be smarter.

Heehee...

H.P. Blavatsky stated that the story of Jesus was invented after the 1st century. She says:

Jesus is a deified personification of the glorified type of the great Hierophants of the Temples, and his story, as told in the New Testament, is an allegory, assuredly containing profound esoteric truths, but still an allegory... Every act of the Jesus of the New Testament, every word attributed to him, every event related of him during the three years of the mission he is said to have accomplished, rests on the programme of the Cycle of Initiation, a cycle founded on the Precession of the Equinoxes and the Signs of the Zodiac.

'The coming of Christ,' means the presence of CHRISTOS in a regenerated world, and not at all the actual coming in body of 'Christ' Jesus... Christ -- the true esoteric SAVIOUR -- is no man, but the DIVINE PRINCIPLE in every human being. He who strives to resurrect the Spirit crucified in him by his own terrestrial passions, and buried deep in the 'sepulchre' of his sinful flesh; he who has the strength to roll back the stone of matter from the door of his own inner sanctuary, he has the risen Christ in him. The 'Son of Man' is no child of the bond-woman -- flesh, but verily of the free-woman -- Spirit, the child of man's own deeds, and the fruit of his own spiritual labour.​
Of course, this doesn't mean that "Jesus" didn't exist as a real human "also". He did exist, and the Gospel is partly based on him

Hapsburg said:
I hate people that put fish symbols on the back of thier cars. Morons.
M*W: They might as well put the Sign of Pisces on their stupid car. It means the same thing.

I see no fish...
on the cover of the book. a small blue circle with three fish drawn by a continuos line. it is an interesting symbol.

Back