�Commonwealth of Pennsylvania -vs- 2544 N. Colorado Street

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
Excerpts modified from: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. The Real Property and Improvements Known as 2544 N. Colorado St.

When Rochelle Bing (42) bought her modest row home, on a tattered block in North Philadelphia 10 years ago, she saw it as an investment in the future. Something to leave her family. Rochelle works full-time as a home health assistant for the elderly and disabled. In summer, when school is out, she tends to her grandkids while their parents work. One of her grandkids was taken into custody for selling drugs. No fault of Rochelle. She had no idea he had left some of the wrappers he had used in a bedroom she gave him free use of.

Not that any of this mattered to the State.

The State sent a task force of 'law enforcement officials' in to seize Rochelle's house. They filed a court claim, quickly approved, that gave Rochelle just 30 days to dissuade a judge from granting a decree of forfeiture that would give the DA's office title to her property. Rochelle was devastated.

"For me to lose my home she recalled recently, For them to take that from me, knowing I had grandchildren - that would have hurt me more than anything."

Rochelle had no idea how long (years) and how difficult (in the extreme would be an understatement) the fight would be when she went up against the State. And while Rochelle's predicament might seem implausible - if not unjust (how could someone who's neither accused nor convicted of a crime be forced to give up her property because of another's misdeeds?) it's actually not uncommon - and as the State seeks out new revenue streams, becoming more so.

In 2000, officials racked up $500 million in forfeitures. By 2012, that amount rose to $4.2 BILLION - an eightfold increase. The State is well known to prey on the poor and the weak (see drug laws). And hey, whom better to attack than the lower class? The weakest in society. Given the functional illiteracy rate among many Public School districts is well below 50%; they're the ideal target.

The State doesn't even bother with naming Rochelle on the forfeiture order, she's simply amalgamated and morphed into an address: '2544 N. Colorado St.' And once the State get's you in it's site, you'll nearly as good as done for. Most "Citizens" lose the battle, and their home.

Yet another reason to legalize all drugs. The second-order effects of prohibition cause more harm than the drugs themselves.

Of course, why do we even need another reason? Something like 30,000 Mexicans have been killed by drug merchants who are merely shipping the stuff north to the USA. That's waaaay more than the number of people who are killed by the effects of drugs.

If a failed government policy resulted in the deaths of 30,000 Americans, we'd march on Washington, burn down the Capitol Building, and tar-and-feather its occupants. But nobody cares about Mexicans.

Oh wait... there is one failed government policy that actually does result in the deaths of 30,000 Americans, every year. Our gun laws--or I should say, our lack of gun laws.

I have thought that organized marijuana legalization could be a practical business venture, it's a funny business. I think one of the major challenges is temperance considering age and affordance concerning drugs and alcohol etc. And then arises an aspect of the ?why the sort of submission into such culture.. lack of promise in the employment field is one problem, and using parents is another problem? I think two versions of government café could bring a lot of order..one type of (meeting welcoming café)a no alcohol sort of place for people to actually confer, another café that supports affordance and allowance drug alcohol and sex info, and a variety of recreational and wholistic ideas - at great simplicity and liberative conference with limited providorship for sale of marijuana pipe and choice of one beer or wine and then other alcohol free drinks Each place having noncomplicated food choices..appetizers of sort.

Well, this inspired me to look up MN laws. A few years back we had the Metro Gang Strike Force disbanded in part due to forfeiture abuse and awards handed out to citizens:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/163478566.html

In 2008, Torgelson vs Real Property settled the issue of homestead property (MN). It cannot be taken. Rental/non-homestead properties can only be taken after a 2nd offense within 1 year (any tenant). Unless the landlord evicts the tenant on the first offense.

Back